Nassau or Freeport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dived in Freeport (Port Lucaya) and thought it was just "okay." I'd like to return to the Bahamas. In your opinion, is the diving better out of Freeport or Nassau?

I also found the whole Port Lucaya tourist area to be cheesy, claustrophobic and expensive, and found myself taking the local bus in to Freeport to escape, which I wasn't really prepared for and where I really had no clue where to go, but at least it made me feel better to find some Bahamian food, drink and people rather than pizza and souvenir shops and people who look just like me. What is Nassau like in this regard?

That is pretty much the Bahamas or at least the main islands. If you go to dive, why not go to some place where the main attraction is diving instead of somewhere diving is just another thing to do.

I like the diving in New Providence (Nassau) better, and I've worked in both places. I think Nassau is less cheesy than Lucaya, but equally expensive. The nice thing about Nassau, is it really is a city, unlike anything on Grand Bahama. I really don't spend any time downtown, but I know locals and people who work here who do.

Best diving I've done in the Bahamas was Andros. I want to get to Eleuthra and down to the Exumas, both of which I've heard good things about. The best diving is in the family islands (pretty much everything other than NPI and GB), but there is generally nothing else to do on those islands. If you are looking for nightlife and diving alternatives, Nassau is probably your best bet.

Eleuthera, Andros, Exumas etc., would be GREAT, but the cheap flights from the US are to Nassau and Freeport. I'm definitely not looking for nightlife, just trying to get away from the tourist hordes. Hanging with fellow divers is fine.

I just checked, and it looks like Nassau-Eleuthera on Bahamas Air is around $140. Maybe I should search some threads here on Eleuthera or other islands.

Eleuthera, Andros, Exumas etc., would be GREAT, but the cheap flights from the US are to Nassau and Freeport. I'm definitely not looking for nightlife, just trying to get away from the tourist hordes. Hanging with fellow divers is fine.

I just checked, and it looks like Nassau-Eleuthera on Bahamas Air is around $140. Maybe I should search some threads here on Eleuthera or other islands.

If you take Bahamas Ferries, you can do more diving in the out islands since you won't have to contend with waiting 24hrs before flying after diving and the transit time isn't much longer.

Here's their schedule: http://www.bahamasferries.com/pdf/Ro-Pax only/2009/BF Summer Apr15-Dec22 09.pdf

On the down side the ferries are expensive and not always reliable.
Check the prices for NAS To San Salvadore (ZSA) and have a look at Riding Rock inn. Famed for Great Hammerheads and gin clear water, there's a club med for a little night life and a few local drinking holes for some down home fun. The diving's second to none in my reasonable experience of the bahamian islands. (Abaco, Eleuthra, San Sal, Andros, Exuma and all over New Providence)
Do a similar cost analysis on Andros (Small home Bay Lodge would be a very good start)
And Eleuthra (Harbor Island to the north is home to Ocean Fox and (i believe) Valantines diving)
These three islands sound closest to your needs. There's many others!
Also, have you discounted liveaboards?

You could do worse than just coming to NP and "slumming it" with the locals and expats. A chick who was over stayed in coral harbor, close to stuart coves, where she enjoyed the local sand bar, Lil ****, Oasis and Patio. She made it into town for all the kitch tourist tat to take home for friends and family but was still able to keep it real.
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom