Narrowed Down to 3 in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7milehi

Contributor
Reaction score
I was checking my Capitol One rewards points and had more than I thought. When I checked on hotels/resorts in GCM I have enough points to stay 4 nights at the 3 following places.

Sunset House
Sunshine Suites(d/o, Divers Down)
Comfort Suites 7 Mile Beach(d/o, Don Foster's)

This will be a dive vacation with my 16yo daughter. Any recommendations from those that have been there and other helpful hints will be appreciated.

Of those three, I would recommend Sunset House. I have not heard/read good recommendations about Divers Down. I have dove with Don Fosters. Be prepared for going with a large group.

You might check out Cobalt Coast. The operator, Divetech, is excellent, and there are probably other teen divers there this time of year.

I'm not a huge Sunset House fan but if you want a dive resort environment with everything on site I'd go with that. For the other 2 places you'd probably have a nicer room. Very different areas and atmospheres.

If you want to stay at Sunshine or Comfort suites I don't think you need to feel compelled to dive with their house ops. Since they're not waterfront properties with shore diving on site and boats leaving directly from the hotel and you have to go elsewhere to catch the boat anyway, and most ops will pick you up wherever you're staying on the West end.

I think I remember Don Fosters being the "house" op for Comfort Suites, but looking at the Comfort web site seems to be Ambassador Divers now? Think I've read they have a good rep but I've never used them.

I think I remember Don Fosters being the "house" op for Comfort Suites, but looking at the Comfort web site seems to be Ambassador Divers now? Think I've read they have a good rep but I've never used them.

Yep - Ambassador is at the Comfort Suites. Used them in September of 2009, great, safe and fun group. One day it was my buddy and myself - how is that for concierge diving? Most we had was 5 divers plus a DM on a wall dive. We had some non-divers do the discover scuba one day and they had a blast. Highest regards for their staff - older, cold water experienced types. 2 boats - one moored off 7 mile beach, one in the northern harbor. Both fast, think one is a Parker, good heavy weather boat. Rinsed and stored our gear between trips. Ran a tight op (which I appreciate) arrived and left when advertised, none of the 'island time' nonsense. During our week we dove with Martin, Larry, Ash and newly minted dive master Gina.

Beach is nice in front of Comfort Inn, fun snorkeling there during SI. Water temps in Sept low 80's - I dove with shorts and a rash guard over swimsuit, my friends just had suits on.

Comfort Inn Suites is convenient to some less expensive dining options - Chicken Chicken and Aqua Beach Bar - and there is a grocery store and a liquor store within walking distance as well (given you like to walk a bit).

Sunset House has always worked out great for me and my wife. The accomodations are nothing special but as divers we dont need, nor do we want to pay for, anything fancy. They do a great job overall catering to divers on their dive packages. Couple of morning dives off the boat, relax and have lunch, afternoon and night shore diving til you dont want to be in the water anymore. If you have enough people staying at the hotel on dive packages they will run night boat dives which is nice. Whatever you pick you will have a blast. If you go post hurricane season you might be able to dive the Kittiwake wrek if they get her down there.

S

Check out living the dream divers, look at the web site, send an e mail and read reviews on here and trip advisor.

Check out living the dream divers, look at the web site, send an e mail and read reviews on here and trip advisor.

I tried to look at your web site but got":

Error establishing a database connection

I was in March. Hook up with Red Sail and dive the very north wall on the West end or go to the East end walls. I stayed at Morretts (25 miles East) and had that end all to myself. Be advised, the reef all along the west end is not what it used to be. Do a shore dive at Fosters or Sunset and you will see what I mean. There is a nice little dive op halfway, that has some cost effect lodging, Ocean Frontiers - You might also contact morretts or the Reefs, they can make a deal. Colliers bay and North had the best diving. I did 19 dives all around the Island, West end nada.n

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom