Narcosis Effects or... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topdown134

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week, I had the opportunity to dive several sites throughout the Bahamas on the liveaboard Avalon. One potential incident could have marred an otherwise great experience. Two buddy pairs (me and my lady friend; my daughter and her boyfriend, all intermediate to advanced divers with at least 150 ocean dives in various conditions) descended on the Lost Blue Hole site. As we descended into the hole, with a plan to level out at 80' to explore a cavern cut into the side of the hole, my lady friend ("S") appeared to lose depth control and sank fairly rapidly to greater than 100'. We had been at these depths before with no issue, but my thought is that some combination of a) dehydration; b) first full day of the first liveaboard experience; and c) some emotional distress, plus the more rapid than normal descent induced narcosis. She ignored repeated signals to ascend (I was never more than 5' from her), and eventually bottomed out at 123' before I could gain control of her BC and slowly ascend.

This is where it got "interesting". Shortly after starting the ascent, she became very docile (afterwards, she claimed she was asleep, and liked the feeling so much she didn't want to wake up). From the start of the ascent at 123', I had a firm hold on her tank valve, and ensured she was still breathing, but she gave no effort to sustain her position in the water and did not kick or make any other diver like movement. Frankly, I thought at first she was just throwing a tantrum. At one point, she became combative and tried to shove me away, but quickly relented and resumed her docile manner.

We reached safety stop depth after a very slow ascent, and it was only then, after looking into her eyes, that I realized she was fully asleep. I made several attempts to wake her with increasing aggression, but each time, she opened her eyes briefly, then proceeded to nod off again. We reached the surface safely, and started to reboard, but only then did she become more fully aware. She thought. however, that we were just starting the dive, not ending it.

So, can simple narcosis induce such a lingering effect, or was this something as troubling as a more passive attempt to succumb to something that felt peaceful? She scared me quite a bit, but we completed more than a dozen more dives on the trip without incident, including several wall dives that took us to similar depths. I'll have to admit I was never fully comfortable with these dives because I was worried about her response, but they all went okay.

If you want more details, let me know, or PM me if you have clinical suggestions. I'd like to believe this is a one time thing, but I'm not sure what to make of it. She just wants to "forget" about it, but not sure that's wise if there is an underlying emotional instability.

Anyway, thanks for reading and for any comments you might have.

That's not narcosis. Sounds like she has some medical issues and shouldn't be diving.

I would consult DAN about this before diving anymore.

Hope everything goes smoothly.

Run, don't walk to the nearest doctor. It sounds like narcolepsy. This could be fatal under water.

Sounds like it almost did. One hit narcolepsy? He said they dove the rest of week without problems. Very odd. I'd go to the doctor just out of curiousity.

My wife has narcolepsy, and it doesn't come out that quick. She's only done about 10 dives (as have I), and never once has she said she felt any of the symptoms come on. And if it was full blown narcolepsy, she'd be falling asleep at a lot more places than 80 feet down. We've been through all the tests for my wife, and this was never mentioned (her doc even signed off on her SDI paperwork for her OW). Even as a noob I'd agree contact a doctor and see what this was/is.

Wow, that's freaky. That's not nitrogen narcosis. Try posting this in Diving Medicine for more qualified answers, though.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to/merged with duplicate thread in Diving Medicine

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also say not narcosis- sounds almost like hypoxia.

Well, since you say you made a "very slow ascent", I'll be willing to say that, whatever this was, it was NOT narcosis. One of the characteristics of inhaled gas effects is that they reverse quickly once the inhaled gas is reduced or removed; narcosis frequently resolves with just an ascent of ten or twenty feet. To remain unresponsive to the surface, something else was going on.

Whether this was narcolepsy, as was suggested elsewhere, or a peculiar form of passive panic (and I wonder about that, given that you said she became combative at one point), or something entirely different, I can't tell from the story. But I would be VERY apprehensive about diving with her again, and if I were willing to do it at all, I'd keep it to sites with a hard bottom at a fairly conservative depth.

I agree with TSandM that this couldn't be narcosis alone. There may have been a component of narcosis at depth, but like TSandM said, it would have resolved immediately with ascent. You didn't mention headache, nausea, or any other symptoms of CO2 toxicity or bad gas, so I think that's pretty low on the differential unless somebody put Halothane in her tank (j/k). There could be a psychiatric component, but I'd definitely look at non-diving medical etiologies as well. You didn't mention her medical history; has she seen her primary care practitioner since you've returned?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom