Narc'ed - what does it do to you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver:
I had no intention of starting an arguement over what classes you take. I mearly asked a question.

That's cool. Either way I will be taking one and then the other. :wink:

I get narc'd at about 100' and don't notice much difference between 100' and 130' (the deepest I've been although I've been there many times). What I notice is the bubbles sound musical (I wish I could record them). At 130' I get a little bit anxious, but nothing major and it actually is useful since it means I check my air a little more regularly (not a bad idea at 130'). I have tried different tasks to see how it affects my thinking but I basically do everything as well at depth as I do at the surface.

I've tried the following:

1. Combination lock
2. Hand clapping game with buddy (we were laughing but that's just because we looked like idiots)
3. Even tried long division on a slate (the ugly kind with decimals...oooooh).

So overall if it's just nice sounding bubbles, I'm all for getting narc'd. :arrow:

Hi Marie

I strongly suggest that You and Matt make up your own decisions as to what level of diving you wish to achieve, In this day and age pretty much all technical programs are "SOME WHAT" in line with each other with a few configuration differences, the real thing is finding an instructor you feel comfortable with and trust and who trains you over time as to allow you to obtain and develop your skills befor moving on to the next step.

See you at OBAS

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Hi Marie

I strongly suggest that You and Matt make up your own decisions as to what level of diving you wish to achieve, In this day and age pretty much all technical programs are "SOME WHAT" in line with each other with a few configuration differences, the real thing is finding an instructor you feel comfortable with and trust and who trains you over time as to allow you to obtain and develop your skills befor moving on to the next step.

See you at OBAS

Mr A

I take the information I get from this board and from the people around me, yourself included, and make my own mind up. I may seem to play the airhead sometimes but when it comes to my diving I am very serious. I also know that I have a long way to go and don't want to rush it. A very wise man once told me to get more experience and I plan on taking his advice.

Ber Rabbit:
I've been "badly" narced twice, The second time was last weekend in Lake Huron and it was ugly.

Ber Rabbit, got to give you credit for your self control. It sounds like you forcibly kept yourself out of a really bad situation.

During my OW, I thought that the idea of handing you reg to a fish was hIlarious. On my first deep dive (103') during my AOW class, we were on our way back following the slope up and at about 70' or so I came face to face with a Garibaldi and REALLY wanted to hand him my reg. Not because I was narc'd but because I thought it would be funny.
Because we were in a class situation I didn't want to freak anyone out so I didn't but I thought about it.

cobaltbabe:
A very wise man once told me to get more experience and I plan on taking his advice.

Harumph.... About time.

Nay:
Ber Rabbit, got to give you credit for your self control. It sounds like you forcibly kept yourself out of a really bad situation.

It was definitely by force, I've never wanted to do anything as badly as I wanted to bolt to the surface without my reg at that time. Luckily I have a strong sense of self preservation that happens to be well trained in scuba procedures. I was actually talking out loud to myself during the encounter.

Nay:
During my OW, I thought that the idea of handing you reg to a fish was hIlarious. On my first deep dive (103') during my AOW class, we were on our way back following the slope up and at about 70' or so I came face to face with a Garibaldi and REALLY wanted to hand him my reg. Not because I was narc'd but because I thought it would be funny.
Because we were in a class situation I didn't want to freak anyone out so I didn't but I thought about it.

You could have handed him your octopus :wink:

Safe diving to you!
Ber :lilbunny:

Snowbear:
When I took my tech1 class, we dove the Munson a few times. First on Nitrox (32%). We were pretty task-loaded and stressed, so I didn't notice the narcosis at all. The next day we used 30/30 Triox. I did not notice any difference at all. Until the gas switch to 50% at 70'. Then WHAMMO!!! It was like a really good hit of.... uh.... never mind :wink: Anyhow - although I was still able to read my guages and time the stops, and after a couple of minutes I felt just fine, I definitely knew I was narced. One of these times I'll remember to use the 50% as a travel gas on descent just so I can feel the reverse effect of suddenly being clear-headed.
OK I'm a bit confused about your post. I've only gone through a 1st level Nitrox class, so I don't know all the theories, especially concerning Trimix. I also don't know how deep the Munson is. I thought one of the benefits of diving different gasses is that they can lower the depth of when Nitrogen Narcosis hits you. So should you have felt a narcosis on the Munson when diving 32% nitrox? Forgive my ignorance but what gas did you switch from at 70ft?

The deepest I've been is to 109 feet, but I was on 32% EAN. As you say I didn't feel narced. It was on a cold-water wall dive and I didn't feel any different from my previous deep dives. Well, perhaps I was monitoring my guages a lot closer. Anyway, I don't have my tables with me, but that puts my EAD at what about 80 feet?

Thanks,

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom