Naples/Marco Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
I will be traveling to the Naples/Marco area the first week of May for business and will have a free weekend to dive. Never diving in this area, I am looking for some info. Is there good diving here? I have looked into jumping on a ferry to Key West also, would this be worth the $?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MNDiverDan

Good diving yes, but not what one finds on the East Coast and Keys. The good artifical reefs and natural ledges are an hour or so off shore, and make amazing dives as far as sea life goes. The ARC tower off Naples is a great dive minus the horn. There is much to be said about a school of grouper all the size of a VW Bug. The vis can be sketchy to pretty good depending on the tides. If you like spearfishing it is a great place to be.

The ferry that runs to Marco and Key West is called the Aquacat. It is usually about $120 bucks round trip and to me pretty much a wasted of money. I can drive from my place on Fort Myers Beach to KW in about 5 hours off-season. The ferry trip takes 3-3/12 hours. Driving costs about fifteen bucks. The ferry really runs out of Fort Myers BEach and I am not even sure if they stop in Marco anymore. Does not seem worth it to me.

MNDiverDan:
I will be traveling to the Naples/Marco area the first week of May for business and will have a free weekend to dive. Never diving in this area, I am looking for some info. Is there good diving here? I have looked into jumping on a ferry to Key West also, would this be worth the $?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MNDiverDan

I would say good diving if your into something different than the typical reef dive of the keys and east coast of FL. Grouper, snapper, barracuda, AJ's, mackeral, flounder, etc., are commonly found on the artificial structures here. Though I have yet to encounter any, there are also a variety of sharks which may show up for a visit as well. Visibility is generally less than the reef dives as well, but that doesn't detract from the dives any if your a patient diver that doesn't swim all over - everything that went into hiding starts showing up again after a few minutes and your in quite an interesting little habitat in the middle of what is otherwise a wide open sandy mecca!

I'll be back in the water by then and diving with my buddy Novafury off his boat in the Gulf - I believe early May generally gives us good visibility. We usually spearfish the structures, but if your not into that we've got no problem leaving that gear behind or on the boat.

We've also got another type of dive we are scouting out soon in Venice Beach to do fossiling. Normally we shore dive there for fossil sharks teeth and the odd fossil here and there, but to get at bigger teeth and fossils, we need to get off shore about a mile or so. I'm sure some of those dives will be organized soon as well and folks are always welcome to join in, just toss a few $ in the kitty to offset the skyrocketing gas prices! :D

If you want reef and pretty aquarium fish dives though, the Gulf is not for you. Dive with Kevin with SplashDown Divers. :D

I know Matts1w and CBulla Know a few things about the reefs here. I am hoping to have my boat back sea worthy in a week or so after today its not looking good.

the reefs here are awsome compared to the ones you will find on the East Coast can't say much about the Keys as I have only snorkeled there many many years ago. But you will not see the type of things you nrormally see on any reef or structure dive that you will see in here in the Gulf. I know the amount of dives I have don is about equal and I love the Gulf alot more. And yes they do take some time to get there but is well worth the boat ride...

Give us a shout if you would like to join and we will see if we have anything going that weekend or maybe we can arrange a special trip...

Take care and Good Hunting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom