Naples area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading my florida sites book and found a site that interested me. Anyone ever been to the black hole? Anyone know a dive shop that services that site? I go to florida for christmas vacation in pompano beach and was thinking about a day trip to naples area. Trying to get to that site but dont know if a boat goes out there.

I would be interested too. My mom has a house in Bonita Springs/Naples and we may be down there for xmas. I will proabably want to get some diving in if we do go.

There is a "dive shop" that takes people out, but according to our last visitors its a first come first serve operation as they didn't even write down their name and reservations to dive. Read this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100621

However, if Brian gets a chance to fix his boat, I'm sure I could talk him into trailering down there to take a run out and check this spot out. If it is the hole I think your speaking of, its a spring out in the Gulf of Mexico thats about 230' at the sand, lots of ledges (read about it in a dive report elsewhere, not from experience myself) and generally interesting to dive until you hit the 70-80' level when the fresh water basically takes over and marine life stops hanging out.

I have an interest here of a different perspective.. if this is a submerged spring, then it could have been around during the pliocene era and there could quite possibly be fossils surrounding it such as bones and sharks teeth.

I dived it about 17 years (Feb 10, 1988) ago. It's a great dive, there are thousands of small caverns off its sides. It was loaded with fish when I was there in mid winter. It can get pretty dark down in the hole and it's very easy to lose track of your depth, so be careful if you go. I have it logged as "Blue Hole." I'm interested in returning if anyone puts a group together.

I'd like to do this as well.

Put me down as well. Maybe we could all chip in and hire Headhunter charters out of Fish Tale Marina? I could find a few more who would be interested.

Matt

it is about 225 feet at the bottom accordig to the book. It says that it starts at about 65 feet. Ill make another post just before i go down there for vaca. i will be down for dec 17th until jan 7th. It would be nice to get a group to do this. I just wasnt sure if there were any shops that ran out there since it is about 27 miles out.

My sister just sent me her itinerary for the trip we are supposed to take as a family to mom's place. 12/26-12/30. A dive on the 27th and/or 28th would be good for me.

Wow.

I cannot even plan out the next week or two, let alone December. I was thinking next Sunday.

One does just not run 25 miles off-shore in December. The Gulf is starting to become pretty sketchy by that time of winter. Most winter trips that far are pretty much play it by ear. Also, that is Holiday Break time which means charters cost BIG money and to be honest, are probably already booked for grouper and snapper trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom