Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, very hard on the boat crew and dive op.

Thank you, Talarx, and Koos.

The other two, well, one of them belongs to a crew of divers who are known to dive "Questionably". I will try not to talk ill of the dead, but he has been doing this for a while, and it looks like he took someone who had never gone that deep with him (This is my bit of speculation). I don't think his buddy had ever seen past 130, but don't quote me on that, I don't really know the third guy so well.

Disclosure: I'm an online news editor in real life and I've been following this story with particular interest, as you might imagine. I set up Mark Hume's piece for online play here.

As you say, it's speculation. I'm not trying to call anyone out here, and I know everyone's shocked and wondering what happened. But it seems to me that it's probably better that we don't speculate or repeat what we may have heard from friends of friends. It's an entirely understandable and human response, but the more it happens, the more it gets circulated, and the more likely it is that it'll turn into misinformation. That's not going to help anyone, divers or non-divers. If we're to learn from this, best base it on what we know.

Very sad for the divers, their friends and families.

Disclosure: I'm an online news editor in real life and I've been following this story with particular interest, as you might imagine. I set up Mark Hume's piece for online play here.

As you say, it's speculation. I'm not trying to call anyone out here, and I know everyone's shocked and wondering what happened. But it seems to me that it's probably better that we don't speculate or repeat what we may have heard from friends of friends. It's an entirely understandable and human response, but the more it happens, the more it gets circulated, and the more likely it is that it'll turn into misinformation. That's not going to help anyone, divers or non-divers. If we're to learn from this, best base it on what we know.

Very sad for the divers, their friends and families.

You are correct, and I shouldn't have speculated. This is the info I received from the surviving diver directly.

D

You are correct, and I shouldn't have speculated. This is the info I received from the surviving diver directly.

D

Speculation in the A&I Forum is permitted, provided that you make it clear in your post that it is speculation.

Speculation in the A&I Forum is permitted, provided that you make it clear in your post that it is speculation.

Which I did. But I'm trying to get enough information out there to reduce speculation, so I shouldn't have inserted it.

D

This looks like a slightly better article on the recovery than that last one I posted:

Body of American diver recovered from deep water near Nanaimo's Departure Bay - Entertainment - Times Colonist

In the article the owner of a a dive shop is quoted as saying "diving is a very, very safe sport", and "you realistically look at the numbers and there is more death in bowling than there is in diving".
I have read similar claims. I don't believe it. Its just common sense you enter an enviroment hostile to air breathing beings there is danger. I think the claim is self serving for the diving industry--the people making money from the sport.

In the article the owner of a a dive shop is quoted as saying "diving is a very, very safe sport", and "you realistically look at the numbers and there is more death in bowling than there is in diving".
I have read similar claims. I don't believe it. Its just common sense you enter an enviroment hostile to air breathing beings there is danger. I think the claim is self serving for the diving industry--the people making money from the sport.

.. it's a common misapplication of statistics. People who die while bowling usually do so for reasons that have nothing to do with the activity ... mostly health-related problems that would've killed them regardless of what they were doing at the time of their demise. People who die while scuba diving usually do so because of something that is directly related to the activity.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Several folks appear to know who the divers involved in this accident are. I don't want to be intrusive, but I would like to send a note of condolences if these are Seattle area divers I have either dived with, or photographed. About to send a note off to Sea Dragon crew: good operators, enjoy diving with them. PM is fine.

Condolences to all involved.

Several folks appear to know who the divers involved in this accident are. I don't want to be intrusive, but I would like to send a note of condolences if these are Seattle area divers I have either dived with, or photographed. About to send a note off to Sea Dragon crew: good operators, enjoy diving with them. PM is fine.

Condolences to all involved.

This is actually not a bad idea. If anyone would like to send any words of hope and support for the survivor, please PM them to me, and I will ensure he gets them.

Thanks,
D

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom