Nanaimo or Hornby Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned above, there are numerous artificial wrecks outside the Nanaimo harbour. If your looking for Natural wrecks, you'll want to head a little farther north on the Island to Courtenay / Campbell river area. Bill at Pacific Pro Dive runs charters out to the SS Capilano, MV Gulfstream, Shamrock, and Sceptre Squamish from the Comox habour during the Summer Months. During the winter he moves the boat up to Campbell River area, with wrecks including the Achates, May Island ferry, and a unidentified wreck in Deepwater Bay(we are still working on identification). Bill runs technical charters and has Oxygen to 100% and Helium at the store in Courtenay.

SS Capilano - steam cargo ship from the late 1800's, sunk in 1915 found late 70's. Hull is still intact, with machinery and engine still in the wreck. Wheel house is long gone, but you can still see boot soles where it used to sit. Also, check out the two bladed prop on the stern. Depth is 110' to the deck with 135' to the sand depending on tidal exchange.

MV Gulfstream - passenger ferry struck Dinner rocks in 1947 and sank. When the prop was salvaged(via explosives) the wreck slid down the slope. Hull is intact although it rests on its side and has spilled its contents out. depth is 130' to the stern and 165' at the bow depending on tidal exchange.

Shamrock - is a steam tug that sits in 30' of water at the tip of Vivain Island. Very little is left of this wreck a bit of Hull, and a compound steam engine would be the most reconizable items. There is also a deep wall dive on the same side of Vivian, as both sites can be done in one dive.

Sceptre Squamish - is a salvage barge that was lost by Can Dive Services ( owned by Fraser Valley pile & Dredge) in the late 1990's. Barge is intact with all equipment reconizable. Most reconized features includ crane(which is beside the barge), recompression chamber and numerous deck winches. Also, some of the biggest lingcod you can see in the area. depth is 170' to the deck and 185' to the dirt.

Contact info:
Pacific Pro Dive & Surf.
Ph: 1.877.800.3483
email: info@scubashark.com
Bill Coultart
cell: 1.250.338.3219
email: bill@scubashark.com

If you want any additional info you can contact myself here or at chuck@scubashark.com. Please be aware that I work for Sea Roamer Marine Services and may be on the water for periods up to 14 - 21 days at a time.

Hope you guys have a great trip

I also suggest 49th Parallel Divers (Scuba Diving  british Columbia the Boeing 737 on Vancouver Island BC) who is based out of Thetis Island which is near Nanaimo and he will come over to Chemainus to pick you up.

We have dived with him several times and are planning anohter in Octobr - really like this outfit, nice people and excellent service with superb knowledge of the dive site in the area.

Happy Diving

Last edited:
Going mid- north island is a blast, if you do use Bill and his team at Pacific Pro Dive. Bill has gills.
Hornby would be my second.

If I had to choose between Nanaimo and Hornby, I would choose Nanaimo. The people and lodge on Hornby are great, but I personally think the diving is over rated. The artificial reefs in Nanaimo are a lot of fun for recreational/technical divers alike.

Having said that I think you can do much better then either if you are coming from Texas. For natural wrecks I would second Courtney/Quadra, or suggest Barkley Sound (loads of natural wrecks from 20'-140' deep). For marine life I would suggest Port Hardy.

If I was coming from Texas and had to pick on place to dive, it would be Port Hardy. And this coming form a wreck diver...

Would also say if I was coming all the way from Texas neither Hornby or Naniamo would be on my list.

First by a long way Port Hardy - life and walls like you have never seen. I believe there is one wreck, but it is truly a wreck and a quite shallow dive. We use it as the tune up dive for the weekend. Spectacular diving and scenery. Browning Hidaway is very rustic, but adequate - Gods Pocket is $$$ and you dive in the same locations but I gather the accomodations are much better. There is a liveaboard option but I have not tried it.

Second Barkely Sound - great lodge good diving and lots of different locations to choose from when diving. Very weather sensitive however. If it is blowing you will be limited in your dive sites.

Third (possibly second) Campbell River/Quadra Island - major life as the current through the narrows is significant and thier is at least one wreck to play in. Tricky diving as there is always some current going on.

Then comes the rest of the Island and the Gulf Islands with Naniamo being at the top of my list with perhaps Victoria as second. Have never stayed at any of the dive lodges on the Gulf Islands, but I have a boat so no need.

For all of this understand that I am neither a wreck diver or a tech diver - I take pictures so spectacular scenery and lots of things to take pictures of is my priority.

Back
Top Bottom