Name the dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to remember the name of a dive site I did last year,

It was a drift dive over mostly sand with small islands of corral reefs,then we went thru this incredible arch was about 10 feet in diameter and 20 -30 feet long as we went thru the arch on the other side was a vertical wall that went straight down far as visablity would allow, dove along the top of the wall this wall was on the edge of the reef, guessing this was not a regular dive site due to the fact it ended in the deep blue

Any ideas what the name of this dive site is?

Columbia pinnacles? There would have been pillars on top of the reef and a series of swim throughs. Arch would have been at around 80 feet. As you drop in, it is a barren sand bottom then the arch is at the beginning of the reef. Awesome dive site! I'm sure, Dave or Christy can help more than me.

Good luck,
Jay

I would guess Columbia Deep but why would one cruise over barren sand before getting to what I call the Mayan Arch. Maybe their group dropped on the shallow sand before going to the wall missing the best of Columbia Deep. If that is the one, at the bottom of the arch is a 3 ft wide vertical shaft that is light, but goes straight down to 130 ft. My guys stated calling the shaft "Dave's Throat" long ago. But if they had looked behind they would have seen a giant ampi-theater with lots of swim throughs they had missed.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Depths would be helpful, although there are several sites with large arches and swim throughs that drop off over the wall, but I would lean towards Columbia Deep or Cathedrals - I'm with Dave, not sure why you would drift dive over "mostly sand"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom