Name that tank!!! Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cppike79

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help identifying a tank that I want to buy from someone. The guy selling it doesn't know too much about the tank, all he is really sure of us that it is an HP 100 steel tank, and that he got it from underwater schools of America in carlabad.

I saw a pic of the tank, and it looks as though the valve is the 200 bar DIN/Yoke variety. I also know that it is a 3442 max Psi. And it is not painted (this makes me think it is not a Faber/Blue steel)

The numbers on the tank are as follows:

DOT-F14157-3442* TP5250******* TCSII4957-230 BAR

I'm hoping it's a PST or Worthington.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if it was one of the 'spun' tanks (such as the Genesis type tanks made in Japan). they had TP5250 on them from looking at an old thread, but it was listed as the hydro test pressure. (but I don't think any of them were 3442psi)

does PST make a 3442 tank?

Worthington does, but they've only been selling them not painted (hot dipped) for a couple years.

Faber/Blue Steel tanks are painted, white. they sell 3442psi tanks now (like the FX-100)
maybe older ones aren't?

what are the ****** Numbers you didn't include? serial number? is there an original hydro date stamped on it? that might help determine if it's a worthington based on when they started their hot dip (no paint) tanks.

edit: underwater schools of America is a Worthington Dealer according to XS Scuba website (the distributor for Worthington). so might be a worthington , if he bought it new there.

The ****'s were actually just supposed to be blank spaces, for some reason when I copied and pasted on my blackberry they came through that way.

I'm still waiting to hear back regarding the original hydro. He did mention that the tank was only a year or so old though.

I'm thinking it might be a worthington (he took a pic of the valve for me and the small part of the tank that I could see appears to be hot dipped)
I hope someone can verify this for me before I drive to go see it.

Thanks for the help

does PST make a 3442 tank?
I believe their E series were the first tanks with 3442 service pressures.

Worthington does, but they've only been selling them not painted (hot dipped) for a couple years.

Faber/Blue Steel tanks are painted, white. they sell 3442psi tanks now (like the FX-100)
maybe older ones aren't?
Re-read the original post. He said it wasn't painted. So it's likely a E7-100 from PST or a X7-100 from Worthington.

There was a company called Norris that had supplied Sport Chalet with a 3442 PSI tanks just before they closed their door at least to scuba tanks. It could be one from them.

The will be a manufacturer stamp located between the month and year on the original hydro date.

Pressed Steel's symbol is a big pregnant P followed by st

Re-read the original post. He said it wasn't painted. So it's likely a E7-100 from PST or a X7-100 from Worthington.

D'oh! you're right... he did say 'Not' a Faber... I mis-read. thanks for pointing that out...

It's a Worthington
E-14157 is their exemption number
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/special_permits/docs/14000/SP14157.pdf

Dave

hmmm... I tried to find that and couldn't. I did a search by F14157. looks like it's listed without the F. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom