Naegleria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With all the news recently about Naegleria deaths, does anyone know of any divers being infected?

Do you think the waters of Kansas / Missouri are open to this parasite?

I'm normally not this paranoid, if it was something that made me really sick.. but didn't kill in 2 weeks or less I wouldn't care :)

Division of Parasitic Diseases - Naegleria Infection Fact Sheet

Here is all the information about this parasite from the CDC. If you dive in this kind of water then start to develop an illness within days, definitely see a doctor immediately. I had the pleasure of developing a staf infection from a blister on my heel in a matter of 24hrs post dive off of W. Palm. I didn't play and got on antibiotics immediately. It is unfortunate, but our waterways be they fresh or salt are full of high bacteria counts and critters from sewers and runnoff. Just be aware of any illnesses post dive. Be safe!

Carolyn:sharks:

Yeah i've read the fact sheet, just wondering if there are any reported diver deaths from it.

The water temp around here is in no way warm, but on the surface the water is warm enough for it :/ Normally diving around here requires a 7mm suit, gloves, boots, etc even for a 60 ft dive. Sooooo I would assume i'm safe at depth :) It's just the warm water in the dock area that worries me.

Brandon

23 cases worldwide in 10 years??? And you are worried about it??? There were 490 fatal lightning strikes in the US in the same amount of time. I'd worry about going outside in the rain more than contacting this disease.

Realistically, it's good to know about some of things they are finding. It's also good to be aware of how you feel the days after you dive. Some of these pathogens/parasites are very aggressive if they get ahold of you so being aware always helps. The staf infection I got kept me out of the water for 2 months. I hope to not get sick again, but it happens. Now I carry iodine on the boat and anytime I find a cut or blister, I dab it immediately. Waiting too long can cost ya. Oh the water wasn't too bad diving off of W. Palm, so even in relatively clearer water you can still pick up something!

Just food for thought!
Carolyn:sharks:

23 cases worldwide in 10 years??? And you are worried about it??? There were 490 fatal lightning strikes in the US in the same amount of time. I'd worry about going outside in the rain more than contacting this disease.

There have been 6 cases in the last (2)months with swimmers :14:

Am I that worried about it? Not really, i'll still dive. I'd just like to know without a doubt that they cannot survive in the water I dive in :) Which is a old lead / zinc mine in Missouri.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom