N00bacious question about Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was curious about Apeks, so I went to their web site. I suspect I don't know the correct question to ask, because it's isn't at all obvious what the differences are between the regs they offer. For example, they have a sidemount "set," but don't seem to say what regs are included in the set.

I figured out that their "flight" regs are light weight for people struggling with the airlines and their voracious appetite for extra baggage fees, and that their green regs are oxygen-clean, presumably for use on deco bottles with 50%, 80%, or 100% O2. After that... What's the difference between an XTX50, XTX100, and XTX200? Which one is better? Which one is more expensive?

I feel like a complete dunce looking at the web site.

:dork2:

I was curious about Apeks, so I went to their web site. I suspect I don't know the correct question to ask, because it's isn't at all obvious what the differences are between the regs they offer. For example, they have a sidemount "set," but don't seem to say what regs are included in the set.

I figured out that their "flight" regs are light weight for people struggling with the airlines and their voracious appetite for extra baggage fees, and that their green regs are oxygen-clean, presumably for use on deco bottles with 50%, 80%, or 100% O2. After that... What's the difference between an XTX50, XTX100, and XTX200? Which one is better? Which one is more expensive?
On one hand I understand. The website has some (significant) gaps. But, as for the differences between regs, the site does include a 'Product Matrix' for their regulators, both first and second stage (Apeks Products), and you are free to make informed decisions on the basis of what is contained there. Apeks as a rule does not include price information on their website, although as with many manufacturers, the higher the product number (e.g. XTX200 vs XTX50), the more expensive it is. :) That price information is most readily found on sites from distributors that sell Apeks. Apeks does a good job of supporting local distributors (e.g. dive shops), and they are probably the best source of comparative prices.

As for which is 'better', that's very definitely a matter of individual opinion. I have some 200s, 100s, and 50s, and I don't see a lot of difference in performance. For my money, an XTX 50 does everything I need a second stage to do, for recreational or technical diving. But, that is just my opinion, others may vary.

Also, it is probably useful to keep in mind that the 'XTX50', 'XTX100', etc, designation refers primarily to the second stage and, although there are some general pairings of their first and second stages, you can mix and match first stages and second stages to get what you might want. Of course, that opens a whole other Pandora's box about 'which is best', I guess.

I also agree with you - their description of their Sidemount regulator set is pathetic (although the set is actually quite functional, albeit a bit expensive). For details of what is included, you are better served to look elsewhere on the web for a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-oM9DiTMNA) or text description (DirDirect :: Sidemount Diving :: Sidemount Regulators :: Apeks Side Mount Regulator Package). But, as a quick reference, the set includes DST first stages (turret regs, very suitable for sidemount) with the 5th port conversion, and XTX 50 second stages, along with hoses, SPGs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom