Myth or Fact? Sharks are attracted to WHITE dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I participated (just a customer) in shark feeding dives with Emerald Dive Charter, they didn't want us wearing white or yellow gear. It's my understanding the thinking goes something like this.

The shark feeder is handing out chopped up fish pieces, at least some of which are quite white (you've heard the term 'fish-belly white?'). The sharks get used to something white sticking out or swaying in the water near a diver being food. If you're wearing a white glove and decided to wave at your friend, and aren't paying attention to that tiger shark coming up behind you, well...

My point is, not all intended dive scenarios are created equal. Unusual coloring/patterning can make you much easier to distinguish on a dive, and this easier for a dive buddy to keep up with when group diving. For general coral reef diving and such, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

But if you intend to go on shark feed dives at some point, then you need to consider what the dive op.'s rules are, and what the current thinking is on white or yellow gear. You might also consider what kind of sharks and feeding approach are to be used. You can decide whether watching Caribbean reef sharks attack a chum sickle or a pair of tiger sharks getting hand-fed barracuda chunks are meaningful different.

I don't know the answer, but I worry about sharks a little too. You can't win, light colours make you look like a fish, dark colours like a seal :)

Any fisherman will tell you that choice of lure colour varies from day to day and with changes in environmental conditions.
I don't worry about them, I am *usually* entranced by them and welcome their presence. I say "usually" because I'm also a spearfisherman & I don't like paying taxes.

I really started the thread just to try and gain some actual knowledge on the subject, so I can back up what I'm saying to other divers.

And yes I know people have their opinions on lures, but they're generally not targeting sharks -- which is what we're discussing.

When I participated (just a customer) in shark feeding dives with Emerald Dive Charter, they didn't want us wearing white or yellow gear. It's my understanding the thinking goes something like this.

The shark feeder is handing out chopped up fish pieces, at least some of which are quite white (you've heard the term 'fish-belly white?'). The sharks get used to something white sticking out or swaying in the water near a diver being food. If you're wearing a white glove and decided to wave at your friend, and aren't paying attention to that tiger shark coming up behind you, well...

My point is, not all intended dive scenarios are created equal. Unusual coloring/patterning can make you much easier to distinguish on a dive, and this easier for a dive buddy to keep up with when group diving. For general coral reef diving and such, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

But if you intend to go on shark feed dives at some point, then you need to consider what the dive op.'s rules are, and what the current thinking is on white or yellow gear. You might also consider what kind of sharks and feeding approach are to be used. You can decide whether watching Caribbean reef sharks attack a chum sickle or a pair of tiger sharks getting hand-fed barracuda chunks are meaningful different.
Excellent points. I personally run mostly black gear, with red accents. I have a white Omega 3 that I picked up for super cheap but I'm not worried about it at all. Have considered a color kit so its more streamlined but haven't bit the bullet.

My lady on the other hand, did not grow up around the ocean (Missouri) and has a healthy fear of sharks. So as I ease her into the underwater world I want her to be as comfortable as possible. She has no gear at the moment besides your basic mask/snorkel/fins....so before I drop a few thousand bucks on her setup I want to make sure she's at ease.

I have white fins, so these threads are always interesting to me. There never seems to be any consensus outside the idea that the contrast of the white might get their attention.

My lady on the other hand, did not grow up around the ocean (Missouri) and has a healthy fear of sharks. So as I ease her into the underwater world I want her to be as comfortable as possible. She has no gear at the moment besides your basic mask/snorkel/fins....so before I drop a few thousand bucks on her setup I want to make sure she's at ease.
Depending on whether and to what extent her concern is exaggerated, there are some things you can do. I've been to Bonaire 10 times; I have never seen a shark of any kind on any of those trips. Yes, it can happen, but my point is that some places are highly unlikely to feature one.

Perhaps the best treatment for shark fear is to see nurse sharks (which look like catfish to me) or Caribbean reef sharks (if nobody is feeding them). This can go a long way to helping people get past that fear.

It may help her to learn that in the Florida/Caribbean region, seeing larger sharks on routine reef dives with nothing else going on isn't all that common. Sure, you can find sharks - the deep offshore wrecks out of North Carolina (sand tigers), the lemon shark aggregation in the winter out of Jupiter, FL, and if you spear fish or go on shark feeding dives that, as they say, is a whole different kettle of fish (didn't get the bad puns out of my system yesterday, apparently).

I've seen mention of the Shark Shield technology on SB before. I think that's probably overboard for her, but might be worth a little Googling and reading up on it if she's read too many great white attack articles, etc...

I have worried about it too… as I have white GoSport fins. Less risky on a day in clear visibility perhaps, but on a night dive or if lost at sea - the flash of white thrashing about like the underbelly of a prey is likely going to make a shark curious enough to come up from the depths and investigate. I don’t care if there is scientific evidence about it or not - my self preservation instinct won’t let me feel safe. I am looking for that temptation to buy new fins to hit me and I am switching - to something not white!

Doesn’t sound like your Missouri friend will be participating in shark feeding dives in the near future. Especially for new divers, the upside of increased visibility would far outweigh the slight risk of being considered edible on a reef bimble.

I don't like paying taxes.
I suppose that you would rather privatize every government service and let capitalist monopolies set the price tag?

Back
Top Bottom