Mystery wreckage @ Service Club Park Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WlfPckDvr

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was diving off of Service Club Park just south of Venice Beach, FL last weekend and came upon some unknown wreckage. It doesn't seem to be labeled as an obstruction on the NOAA chart (too shallow?). It's in about 10-12ft of water, perhaps 200yds offshore. Looks like part of a small airplane fuselage. Can anyone identify it? Size was maybe 6 feet tall by about five feet wide towards the beach and tapers off away from shore for maybe 10ft. Pretty heavy corrosion/biofouling, so difficult to tell what it was/is. Thanks for any info in advance.

Can't help you with this but I'm headed there sunday, how was the vis? Never dove here before, any hints?
I'll keep a eye out for this wreck, thanks, rick

I have come across it several times and do believe that it's fuselage. It maybe wreckage from when Venice was a traiing base. They used to strafe targets anchored off the shore. You can find spent 50 cal. shell casings and bullets.
There is also a small steel barge out there, not much relief so it gets covered with sand.

I was diving with Florida West Scuba one day last summer when a plane went down about a mile from the boat. My understanding was the pilot was hot dogging too close to the water and ending up going in. The Sherriff pulled up to our boat and asked if we saw a plane go in but the wind but was blowing in the opposite direction so we didn't see or hear it although it wasn't too far away. After that there were boats and helicopters all over the place. I don't think they found the body until later that day. The plane was pretty broken up. It is very likely that it is a piece of that plane.

It's right by the venice airport, headed to the area sun AM. Never dove there and not sure of where I'm going to enter the water, there are many choices. bringing a friend who just got cert.

The plane that went down last year was about a mile WSW of the pier and I'm pretty sure they recovered it. I was on Steve's boat that day too.
The wreckage WlfPacDvr asked about is not much fruther out that the end of the fishing pier off Service Club Park.

Thanks a lot guys. Very interesting. I have just moved to MI, so guess I won't get a chance to look again any time soon. If you have any luck there, would love to hear about it. Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom