mystery worms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwhkg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
any idea what this is or these are. this is from Twin Rocks (Anilao)area on sunday

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 123
I've seen the same thing in Anialo, particularly on the sandy bottom sites like Secret bay. Normally they tend to be a little more translucent and several reach out around 1m from a small hole in the sand.

I've always assumed they are some kind of worm under the surface which uses the tentacles to sense any dead or dying prey nearby - but that's just a best guess! :) The tentacles are quite sensitive, they tend to retreat back into the sand hole if you get too close and disturb the water close to them.

The same tentacles are then in both day and night dives at secret bay - has anyone seem what the worm/creature they belong too actually is? I've not seen one but have heard several people see Bobbitt Worms in Secret Bay - could the tentacles belong to one of them? I've never seen pictures of Bobbit Worm tentacles through - they always seem to come up directly for prey!

Karl

yes actually 4 tentacles(?) were coming from the same hole, and they retraced slowly sken touched,, wierd....btw where is that Secret bay or is it really a secret ??

yes they looks like the tentacles of sea cucumber, so meaning in theory there was a sea cucumber buried in the sand at that spot ??

yes actually 4 tentacles(?) were coming from the same hole, and they retraced slowly sken touched,, wierd....btw where is that Secret bay or is it really a secret ??

:) I think Secret Bay is the worst kept secret in the Philippines, although it's not on too many of the standard dive maps!

It's basically the sandy bottom area around the corner from Mainit, very close to the new Korean Seas Spring resort. There is normally a few boats close to the beach half way between the Mainit Point dive entry, and the 'Mainit Point' hot spring on the beach (just outside the same new hotel, although I think the seating and shelter around the hot spring was washed away a few weeks back!).

All the local DMs and Guides should be able to take you or most boats will know ehre the drop off is - definitely a recommended dive for critters if you've not tried it before, the night dives there can be good also!

Karl

thats why its called SECRET bay . anyway looks like its Spagetti worm(s) many thanks
kw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom