Mystery slug in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have not been able to find an online picture or ID yet for a nudibranch I saw this weekend. It appeared to be a burgandy-ish fading to lighter color, with fat "spikes" poking off in all directions.

I have saw pictures of nudibranchs with so many of those spikey things that they look like a porcupine and that is not what this looked like, the spikes were widely spaced, and they were not knobby on top, they were indeed "spikey" but thick in diameter (relatively speaking) at the same time.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it greatly.

Fuzz

Did it look something like this?

We see something like the one TS&M's link has all the time at the North Coast and Monterey. I have a picture from last weekend, but this board will not let me post it, so I dropped it at the bottom of this thread on our website. Ok I will link it too. BTW this thing is BIG as in over a foot long.
slug_129.jpg

TSandM-

Yours had some white on it but was very similar. Peter C's picture looked EXACTLY like what I saw except what I saw appeared to be the length of my hand, or slightly longer (due to underwater magnification, it was in reality smaller of course). So, was Peter's a Sea Cucumber too?

Hey Peter!

Thanks guy, I'm going to print out that picture and put it in my logbook. I don't have a camera yet and I like to record interesting "critters" that I see but sometimes pictures that I find in online guides and such don't exactly look like what I saw. Your critter looks like mines ugly twin:D

Unless, of course, you have a copyright or something...and you were planning on selling it and making millions and retiring to be a dive bum. I'd totally understand.

Fuzz

No worries, it is not a money shot by any means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom