Mystery Nudis from Coral Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, here's the first one. This guy was smaller than my little fingernail. The first picture is to give perspective, because that's my finger at the lower left:

orange_veil1.jpg

Here are a couple of more close-up shots. He was so small, we couldn't even tell he had the frontal veil until we were looking at the pictures. Based on the shape and the number of processes on the veil, I'm wondering if perhaps it's a baby Triopha catalinae or some such?

orange_veil2.jpg

orange_veil3.jpg

The next one was only marginally bigger, and very nearly the same color. But this one is clearly a dorid of some kind. My first thought was a Rostanga pulchra but the rhinophores are wrong. I can't find anything for a second option. These are pretty much all the pictures we took of him.

red_dorid1.jpg

red_dorid2.jpg

red_dorid3.jpg

red_dorid4.jpg

And finally, this dorid was about the size of your average Doris montereyensis, but we've never seen markings like these before. Our first thought was Thordisa bimaculata, but the two spots on this guy are more like rings, and his plume seems unique. That's definitely how he carries it, it's not being pulled in because these pix were taken over a period of over a full minute. We frankly have no idea what he is.

twospot1.jpg

twospot2.jpg

Those are our three new-to-us nudibranchs. This last one might be a nudibranch, but we're not sure. It seems to have a slug-like foot at the upper right, and the lower center of it looks like it might be a pulled-in branchial plume. But we can't find anything that matches it.

mystery_thing.jpg

I think the first one is a Triopha maculata. (I've seen exactly one like that before)

I think the next two (orange without spots, and yellow with 2 spots), are both Aldisa sanguinea. I might be wrong on that though...

Don't know about the last one.

I think the first one is a Triopha maculata. (I've seen exactly one like that before)

I think the next two (orange without spots, and yellow with 2 spots), are both Aldisa sanguinea. I might be wrong on that though...

Don't know about the last one.

I agree. First one is Triopha maculata and the orange and yellow dorids are all Aldisa sanguinea. I'm not convinced the last one is a nudibranch and in any case don't know what it is.

Clinton

Is the yellow color variation in the Aldisa sanguinea common?

Don't know that I'd call any kind of Aldisa sanguinea "common" exactly. :wink:

But, we do see the yellow one's occasionally - smaller ones especially tend to be more yellow.

Clinton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom