Mystery housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a video housing that I "inherited" from a fellow who picked it up at a garage sale but never could find the camera it was made for. If any of you can match a camera to this housing it's yours for the cost of shipping.
Here are some specs...
Brand: SubXero Extreme
LOA just shy of 13½"
body length is 10¼"
OD 6½"
ID 5 3/4"
Cylindrical, with Lexan end caps and metal body; the front end cap has a dome port attached.
from rear end cap to dome port (inside) 11¼" at edge, 11½" at center
"Macro/Zoom" control lever is 4½" from backplate at 12:10 position (looking from backplate forward)
"Power" control lever is 6" from backplate at 11:40 position
"Pause" control lever is 1 9/16" from backplate at 3:15 position
Mounting plate is 4 3/4" from inside top of housing
4" from mounting plate to "Macro/Zoom" lever
3½" from mounting plate to "Power" lever
Dome port is offset about ½" left of center
There is a 1½" diameter viewfinder magnifying glass just inside the backplate at the 10:30 position. (but it is on a rotatable mount, so it can swing away from the side of the housing toward the center)
Obviously this housing is for a specific camera that so far I've been unable to locate.
As I said, if any of you have the camera that fits inside this thing, it's yours for the cost of shipping from Alabama - the thing weighs about 15 pounds!
S

Given that there's magnifying glass on the back, it's probably pre-LCD screen. I'm guessing one of the early Sony CCD-FX 8mm camcorders? They had an offset lens and I think a couple of them had controls near the top.

I have a taker. If it works we'll let y'all know.
S

Back
Top Bottom