Mysterious sea creature finds its way to Waikiki beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Sorry that I don't have any pictures...
Ron Mizutani Khon2 news:
School was out today for many students, but class was still in session at Waikiki beach.

This afternoon --- dozens on break received an unexpected marine-biology lesson.

A mysterious sea creature finds its way inside a popular swimming area in Waikiki.

"He was like right on top of the thing and then we were all telling him like go away ---when he finally saw it he was like ah," says a boy.

"It was pretty scary though --- it was like really big and then we saw it and we tried to get it," says a girl.

It is in this gray bucket and it is grabbing the attention of everyone onshore.

"We were trying to get it in the little net but it wouldn't fit."

The question is what's too big for a net?

"It was really tough like hard rubber," says a girl.

"Looks like seaweed," says a boy.

"I've never seen one that big out here," says a man.

"The only time I've ever seen something that color is a portuguese man of war," says a man.

Marine biologists want to take a closer look and start the journey to nearby Waikiki aquarium --- but along the way more questions.

"Squid?," says a woman.

Finally it arrives and with the tip of the bucket --- the mystery unfolds as the creature unravels.

"This type of jellyfish has a very mild sting and we don't really see them because they're out in the open ocean --- very oceanic --- and they only come during the high waves or a lot of water movement --- and we have had unusual kona winds lately," says Gerald Crow, Waikiki aquarium curator.

It's about the size of a large melon --- intimidating yet gentle.

"The beautiful purple colors of this thysanostoma jellyfish are just stunning ---and just the vibrant colors just amazing to watch," says Crow.

"Sometimes they can reach about five, six feet in total length and the bell diameter can be a little bigger -- but that's one of the bigger ones I've seen," says Crow.

And for now, this tank will be it's new home.

"We'll watch it and study it's behavior and see what it does and also watch it for reproductive because if we can get it to reproduce here then we can get a whole generation going," says Crow.

"A great opportunity for us to work with something we haven't really worked with before," says Crow.

Pics on the net can be found here

Awesome!!!!

isn't it pretty. I couldn't imagine being in the water and seeing it- it would have freaked me out and been awesome at the same time.

Very cool! The waves were sorta big on the south side today. I really had to time them to get in and out at the ladder in the sea wall. Big storm headed our way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom