Mysterious crystal formation in underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently took a Sony RX100 in Meikon polycarbonate housing on a couple dozen dives in Hawaii. This was the first use of the new housing, and first time U/W with that camera as well.

After the first few dives, I began putting a single Moisture Muncher tube inside the housing each day. I never noticed any fogging or moisture in the housing, before or after that point. After a few days, I began to notice a few crystals inside the housing, thinking at first they were sand particles that somehow found their way in, and just brushed them out as best I could access them.

The presence became more noticeable over time, so I looked closer. The crystals are concentrated on and around the barrel ring control at the front lower left of the port, and between the rubber shade inside the port barrel and the barrel itself, mostly on the lower half proximal to the ring control.

The reasons it seems a little mysterious are

1- the crystal formation is not obviously associated with moisture or fogging inside the case - which I've seen in other cases used in Hawaii and is why I began using the Moisture Munchers years ago (could it be less heat from newer generation cameras?)

2- the Moisture Muncher tube does not seem to change color any faster than when used with other cases, in fact it seems to last a little longer. A single tube inserted the night before a dive, then checked at the end of the next day following one or two dives would still have traces of blue showing. I previously used two tubes per case, which would be distinctly pink by the end of a day.

3- and the crystals do not taste nearly so salty as table salt.

I suppose the source must be moisture intrusion, likely at the ring control knob, it's just that the formation of crystals is a new phenomenon to me, and the lack of other signs of significant intrusion seems odd.

Anyone know how to disassemble that ring control? It's not obvious yet how it's installed in the housing.

For the record, the housing went straight into the bathtub for 30+ minutes upon return from diving, and then would sit open for several hours before being set up again in the evening for the following day's use.

ETA: I see there is a screw in the exterior knob, guess I'll start there. I've also emailed Meikon to see if they have any thoughts.

Last edited:
If your battery is OK this can be sea salt. If there is a micro leak, MM will absorb water and salt will crystallize.

Didn't think about - or taste - battery leak, but battery is fine. I just can't get past how if there's enough water to produce crystals quickly - several more after each day - that it doesn't manifest itself visibly in other ways, or saturate the MM more quickly.

Didn't think about - or taste - battery leak, but battery is fine. I just can't get past how if there's enough water to produce crystals quickly - several more after each day - that it doesn't manifest itself visibly in other ways, or saturate the MM more quickly.
Silica gel, the stuff MM capsule is filled with, can trap up to 40% of water, relative to its dry weight. So 1.5 g of silica that you have in 1 MM capsule can absorb up to 600 uL of water, and 600 uL of sea water gives you about 21 mg of salt. Half that amount will give you visible crystals already, though I do not know at what point the indicator will change the color.

Are you sure it's not desiccant out of the moisture muncher?

Does the desiccant label say what material it is made out of? Since something has changed because before you did not get crystals, and now you do, maybe the formula of the desiccant has changed and it is reacting with tiny amounts of seawater differently. For example, one chemical absorbed saline water, but the other only absorbs H20 after the NaCl, KCl has deposited elsewhere.

Are you sure it's not desiccant out of the moisture muncher?
Good call! After collecting a bunch of the crystals, which are light pink in color and don't appear to dissolve in water, I'm pretty sure now that the bulk if not all of the problem is due to dessicant leaking from a tube. I looked again at the 4 or 5 tubes I was using, and one of them leaks and has lost 1/4" or so of material. I must have used that one more often than the others.

The only place to fit the Moisture Muncher in the housing is loose across the LCD screen where it is free to rattle about and knock contents out. Time to inspect the lot.

Explains the less salty taste I guess. Odd that they preferentially collected as they did - the rubber on the wheel and shield must stick to them.

Full confidence in the explanation will have to wait until another series of dives. Thanks to all for taking a look at this.

I contacted Meikon to see if they had any thoughts or suggestions and heard back right away but so far all they seem interested in is whether I bought this through an approved channel. It appears there may be a lot of these "Meikon" cases that are grey market.

Apparently it's non-toxic, but I only tried to taste a couple of granules and they are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom