My Wing Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packetsniffer, I'm curious what make is that wing in question? I dive with a Halcyon Pioneer and wonder if a similar problem would occur (I hope not since it's a doughnut design). Have you considered contacting the manufacturer with this issue?

DiveGolfSki:
Packetsniffer, I'm curious what make is that wing in question? I dive with a Halcyon Pioneer and wonder if a similar problem would occur (I hope not since it's a doughnut design). Have you considered contacting the manufacturer with this issue?

DGS,

I'm the maker, it was stated in the original post. I've responded a couple times already.

What I think people are missing here is the real possiblity that the bladder in a wing can stick together. If that happens over either the OPV or the Fill hose fitting , or both you can have a problem. It wouldn't much matter what shape the wing is.

Although our wings have unique features, and unique profiles, we use pretty much the industry stand methods of contruction, same urethane, same fittings.

It's too bad Packetsniffer did not inspect the bladder right after, but I put my money on salt. It doesn't seem far fetched, that a bladder stuck together, could result in a narrow channel that would let air in under pressure, but would be insufficent to let air out.

It is significant to me that a rinsing seems to have restored the wing to normal function.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
DGS,

I'm the maker, it was stated in the original post. I've responded a couple times already.

What I think people are missing here is the real possiblity that the bladder in a wing can stick together. If that happens over either the OPV or the Fill hose fitting , or both you can have a problem. It wouldn't much matter what shape the wing is.

Although our wings have unique features, and unique profiles, we use pretty much the industry stand methods of contruction, same urethane, same fittings.

It's too bad Packetsniffer did not inspect the bladder right after, but I put my money on salt. It doesn't seem far fetched, that a bladder stuck together, could result in a narrow channel that would let air in under pressure, but would be insufficent to let air out.

It is significant to me that a rinsing seems to have restored the wing to normal function.

Regards,

Tobin

Missed that. Thanks for pointing it out and setting me straight.

Would rinsing the bladder with some home grown solution help? I use a BC cleaner but I believe that inhibits fungi. Is there something for a salt wash than be used?

DiveGolfSki:
Missed that. Thanks for pointing it out and setting me straight.

Would rinsing the bladder with some home grown solution help? I use a BC cleaner but I believe that inhibits fungi. Is there something for a salt wash than be used?

All I ever use is fresh water and lots of it. Salt is the main factor here in SoCal, and it's readily soluable in fresh water.

The commercial compounds may have benefits for longer term storage (some thing I try to avoid :05: )

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
DGS,

It doesn't seem far fetched, that a bladder stuck together, could result in a narrow channel that would let air in under pressure, but would be insufficent to let air out.

Tobin

Good point that. It sounds as though PacketSniffer didn't actually start to ascend until the problem was resolved. If he had then maybe the increase in pressure inside the wing would have been sufficient to overcome the restriction. Of course it might not have so he obviously did the right thing in sorting it out first.

DiveGolfSki:

I also dive BP/W - and a Pioneer to boot. Well when I say 'dive', I bought it a couple of months ago and have done a single holiday of circa 20 dives with it.

Having said that, I've been using shop BP/W set-ups for tech diving for a few years now and have got used to them.

My take on this story is that I cannot see it being anything other than salt & other contaminants sticking at the narrowest point. I've never heard of it before, and my feeling is Packetsniffer was just plain unlucky.

As your (and my) Pioneers have two narrow points, we'd statistically have to be twice as unlucky - right?:thumbs-up

Keep your gear clean, children!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom