My wife is going to freak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Diver0001,
What kind of crayfish are these?
Are they the typical ones that are found in rivers and streams?

Diver0001:
I have a tropical fresh-water aquarium in my living-room and in that aquarium I have a small collection of interesting fishes and some platys (which aren't unusual but they're cute, home bread and they make a lot of babies, which is entertaining enough)

One of the things in my aquarium are crayfish (population control for the platy's :)). They're just like little palm-sized lobsters and they look fabulous in the aqaurium.

But now I have a problem. I was working at home today and just after lunch I heard some rustling behind a couple of plastic storage boxes. I went to check it out, assuming it to be a mouse and .... you guessed it .... a cray fish. I don't know how it happened and I don't know if it's the first time or not but I do know how my wife is going to respond if it happens when *she's* home.....

We've obviously never had a problem with crayfish running around the living room before be we have had mice and my wife gets completely hacked over mice. Anything that crawls around and doesn't need it diaper changed in unnatural and terrifying in the mind of city dwelling Dutch people, I guess....

I can hear her now .... "Rob, get that !#$#$* Hitchcock's monster out of this house".

I don't know what to do.....should I tell her that I know they can do this or should I wait until she's sticking her arm under the couch reaching for a toy and discovers it the hard way.... ? It's a dillemma. I don't want to be mean to my wife but I like the crayfish a lot

R..

Ok, heres what you do.
1. if you dont already own a video camera, go out and buy one.
2. set it up someplace inconspicious but with a good view of the couch.
3. leave the aquarium open just a crack
4. make sure the video camera is taping (very very important)
5. wait for wife to discover errant crawdad under the couch and completly freak!
6. Send video to america's funniest home videos.
7. Collect that big fat check for winning there little funny home video contest
8. use half the money you win to buy your wife a really nice aniversary gift so she doesent divorce your *** for scarring the piss out of her and spend the other half on dive gear!

Oh and post a copy of the video here so we can all get a good laugh!

Cheers
Phil

phylo:
Ok, heres what you do.
5. wait for wife to discover errant crawdad under the couch and completly freak!
8. use half the money you win to buy your wife a really nice aniversary gift so she doesent divorce your *** for scarring the piss out of her and spend the other half on dive gear!

Cheers
Phil
Of course, if he doesn't win any prize money, he then has to live with not only scaring the crap out of his poor wife, he also humiliates her on national television with nothing to give her to make up for it.

I say just secure the top of the tank, and take your wife out to a nice, romantic dinner and tell her what had happened, what you did to solve the problem, and tell her you did it to protect her! She'll love your thoughtfulness!

Diver0001:
Thanks for the advice, Matt. You gave me an idea. It could very well be the water. I usually clean my aquarium every week but we've been on vacation and I left it for 3 weeks. I'll go clean it now and maybe my crayfish will stay put :)

R..
Heh, good luck! The water change/tank cleaning could very well be the answer to your situation. I assume that crawfish would be happy with all the platties. Lots of entertainment/hunting for that crawfish. Hope you get it all worked out to make everyone in your household happy in this order: 1) The Wife 2) The Crawfish 3) You for being able to keep the crawfish and wife happy at the same time.. :)

Matt

The Kraken:
Hey, Diver0001,
What kind of crayfish are these?
Are they the typical ones that are found in rivers and streams?

Something like that. The ones I have look a lot like the one in the picture. I'm not 100% sure what species it is but my guess would be a "Procambarus tulanei" which will grow large enough for me to need a bigger aquarium :crafty:

R..

Firebrand:
Of course, if he doesn't win any prize money, he then has to live with not only scaring the crap out of his poor wife, he also humiliates her on national television with nothing to give her to make up for it.

I say just secure the top of the tank, and take your wife out to a nice, romantic dinner and tell her what had happened, what you did to solve the problem, and tell her you did it to protect her! She'll love your thoughtfulness!

But where is the fun in that, besides have you seen the kind of crap that usually wins on that show?? Im sure we have a winner brewing with the scarry crawdad home video, hell Im allready laughing about it from just imagining it..

Of course Im one of those sick people who enjoys scarring the hell out of my friends and familly ;-)

Its all good as long as at the end the person you are scarring laughs allong with you.

Phil

phylo:
Ok, heres what you do.

Cheers
Phil

LOL!! Hilarious.

You ever see the one where the little girl picks up a catfish? That was really good. Her father was filming her walking around in knee deep water (little girl about 5 years old). She said "hey daddy, I see a fish". He says "pick it up honey" and so she bends over and when she stands up and turns around she's got ahold of this fish that's just about as big as she is. Dad loses it and starts screaming "put it down! put it down!". Hilarious.

R..

I once scared my wife so badly I made her cry. She still doesn't even laugh about it today. I have to tone down my scare factor sometimes and apply romance to stay out of the doghouse! And yes, those winning videos are always so funny. I think video taping her reaction to an escaped crawfish hiding under the couch would make a strong contender in the finals!

Firebrand:
I once scared my wife so badly I made her cry. She still doesn't even laugh about it today. I have to tone down my scare factor sometimes and apply romance to stay out of the doghouse! And yes, those winning videos are always so funny. I think video taping her reaction to an escaped crawfish hiding under the couch would make a strong contender in the finals!

Your wife is nicer than I am...if that trick was purposefully played on me I'd laugh and then kill you

It wasn't a trick. She was doing dishes one night and I was taking out the trash, and I saw her at the kitchen window (which was open). I snuck up to the window and said her name in a somewhat demonic voice (picture the scene from Ghostbusters where the refridgerator said "Zule" and that's how I sounded). It scared the crap out of her because she could only see my silouette and didn't think I could get back to the window that quickly. She screamed so loud, and I had to tell her it was me. I went back inside and held her until she calmed down. I'll never scare her like that again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom