My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Jax, why wouldn't you descend together? Descent is one of the times when things go wrong and people need help. I find descent and ascent are the times when I'm most motivated to maintain the close formation that GUE teaches.

I certainly would descend together . . I just don't see a purpose in "falling into formation" and doing a timed descent on a fun dive. If someone wanted to do drills, hey; I'm in! But I like that kind of stuff. If I were diving with my husband, I would not be doing drills as it would alienate him. To each dive, its own purpose.

I certainly would descend together . . I just don't see a purpose in "falling into formation" and doing a timed descent on a fun dive. If someone wanted to do drills, hey; I'm in! But I like that kind of stuff. If I were diving with my husband, I would not be doing drills as it would alienate him. To each dive, its own purpose.

Well I don't always do this either and just last week got thrown a loop. I have never had a buddy suddenly have ear issues at 65ffw. Our communication wasn't very clear, I normally stagger a descent like this with maybe 2ft vertical seperation but still close enough to see everyone. Someone has to lead by at least a little afterall because you're right "formation" is somewhat artificial and doesn't actually work at a site with current etc.

I was leading our group of 3, someone new was #2 and I didn't realize #3 had to stop and was 20ft above where I couldn't see her (on a recreational fun dive). Vis was about 8-10ft. Got to the bottom, thumbed it. Came up to #3, waited for her to clear, redescended.

Guess my point is the communication on ascent/descent skills are there to use them - even when they seem "unnecessary". Would have been better on my part with a new person to be in tighter formation.

Since I am most likely the one with ear issues, I tend to keep well within arm's reach . . . or my buddy would drop without me! I agree 100% with the communication . . .

When I took Essentials (UTD) I had become super discouraged with myself in that class and and super stressed. I had come in, also, without much of the right exposure or practice before hand. But I stuck with it and some time later did their Rec2 and was just as stressed, especially during their failures portion.

It is natrual to feel "watched" and react with some confusion about what do to rather than how you're trained and would natrually act/react if doing the dive.

Then I took Tec1 a year later (recently) and while I'm a pretty solid diver these days, in the class I was brainfarting like madness. My bouyancy was all over the place, was forgetting how to deal with valve failures, and so on. But by the 3rd day was rock solid. Me and my team buddy eventually "forgot" we were in class and just did normally as if on the dive and we solidified naturally.

Even during my UTD DM training some of the pressure got to me at times. There you're demonstrating and teaching but eventually I put the pressure behind me and then eventually I passed. When taking these types of classes (GUE / UTD) it's natural to want to be perfect and look good, but you must never forget the purpose of being in the class is to learn. What you'll learn will enable you to conduct the dives with a measure of competance and also practice to prepare for the next class. But when you're done with the class, you dive and with that comes experience. The ultimate goal is to have fun. With experience comes proficiency and you'll get the point where you're not focused/stressed about the skills and can just dive and enjoy it. Part of the fun is the company you spend with, as well.

The advince I like to give people is: the only criticism that should effect you in a class comes from the instructor, not yourself.

Anyway, stick with it. Classes tend to be stressful, but diving outside of them tends to be fun. I can't think of a time outside of class where I've been so stressed or concerned about performance. It'll come with practice and diving with the like-minded/trained buddies.

Thanks for sharing the report.

the boundaries.

On a personal note, while the West Coasts seems to have a healthier attitude towards GUE style diving (or, less egotistical anyway), we do have one or two of our own local "hard core" divers. I tend to shy away from those types as I don't want to dive that way either.

WHAT!?!?! :shocked2:

On a personal note, while the West Coasts seems to have a healthier attitude towards GUE style diving (or, less egotistical anyway), we do have one or two of our own local "hard core" divers. I tend to shy away from those types as I don't want to dive that way either.

WHAT!?!?! :shocked2:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about you, Casey... I know I felt intimidated! :D

Semi-Related Note: I submit that regular OW scootering with solid teammates promotes a healthy attitude, because it's just too damn fun to get really negative about anything short of an actual accident.

Reactions: Jax

Semi-Related Note: I submit that regular OW scootering with solid teammates promotes a healthy attitude, because it's just too damn fun to get really negative about anything short of an actual accident.

Was it my 6 month hiatus from diving? Or almost losing my fins in the surf? Or was it my flubbed ascent from the 10ft. stop that was the most intimidating? :D

+2 on the scootering!

Reactions: Jax

If you really want to promote solid team skills, do it in low-vis. Last week we had two teams (5 divers) do about an hour on the trigger together in roughly 15-foot vis. Flying in formation's fun ... well ... until we get around a bunch of jackstraw pilings ... then I totally go into "harbor seal pup" mode ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not sure what would be worse. A sierra in 5th gear into a jackstraw piling, or face-first into a sea nettle. (laughing)

I'm not sure what would be worse. A sierra in 5th gear into a jackstraw piling, or face-first into a sea nettle. (laughing)

The sea nettle ... definitely. I've already experienced a head shot on a piling, and it ain't no big whoop ... then again, I gotta hard head ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom