My Turks and Caicos trip is now out....Plan B to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanderbilt13

Registered
Reaction score
I need some quick help. My anniversary trip to Turks and Caicos is obviously out of the picture now, and I need a plan B quick. Although I don't want to get on the plane for over 10 hours, I want to go diving and hawaii is always a safe choice for this time of year.

I've been to Maui already and I'm not interested in going back...just want something different. Where should a late twenties couple go for a romantic destination with good diving? And, which diver operator do you recommend? I'm willing to look at any of the islands, and I'd like to stay somewhere that is like the Hyatt in Kauai (that level of "niceness"). I've only been diving in the Riveria Maya and Aruba so I'm looking for something different but also good. We also like general adventure like hiking, kayaking, etc.

Thanks so much for you help! We'll see if I can get this planning done quickly!

If you're still interested in Caribbean, there's a couple nice hotels in Curacao (Marriott, Kura Hulanda) or Bonaire (Harbour Village) and they're relatively safe from hurricanes. Not the scale and facilities of the Hyatt but might do. Or Young Island resort on St Vincent, one of our favorites. Pretty far south so safer than average this time of year (though not immune.) Qualifies as romantic and the diving is pretty good and fairly convenient for a place not well known as a dive destination.

Hawaii, I'd pick the Big Island for diving and other stuff to do and there's a number of really nice resorts along the Kona/Kohala Coast. Four Seasons, Mauna Kea, Prince, Orchid, others. There's the Hilton Waikoloa if you like the huge place with all sorts of water features, you take a boat or monorail to your room, but it seems to me like a nicer place to visit than stay. I've got no opinion on dive ops as the last ones we used are gone or changed hands and our last trip was on the Aggressor, but there's been a bunch of other threads discussing Kona ops.

Sounds like you might have already been to Kauai by your mention of the Hyatt Kauai? If not, then Kauai is a great pick. We've got beautiful shore diving and quite a few different sites for boat diving, all within easy range of Kauai's south shore. Just do a search on Kauai diving and you'll find lots of recommendations from a variety of SB members. For shore diving, I plug my dive shop - Aquatic Adventures in Poipu - and for boat diving, I'd recommend either Fathom Five or Bubbles - both offer smaller boats = smaller group size = more personalized service. Good luck with Plan B and Happy Anniversary!

Good morning. Not sure but your screen name hints that you may be a vandy grad. I graduated in '96, my wife is the class of '95, my brother is the class of '89, his wife is the class of '91 and med school class of '96.

Have you stayed at they hyatt in Kauai? It is wonderful. Very relaxing and very romantic. This hyatt was not designed for kids (although it has one cool pool that anyone feels like a youngster splashing around in).

For your dive history Kauai would be a good fit. There is some really nice and mellow shore diving on the south side of the island (Koloa Landing, PK's, etc.). Aquatic Adventures is just up the road from the hyatt and are friendly folks. I dove with Fathom Five but what made that experience was the guide Scott. Mellow guy who had fun diving with us. He knew he did not have to babysit and we had a great time. He even dove with us on his day off. Kauai also has a nice microbrewery if you enjoy a good beer.

Take care and go Dores (some win over the Cocks on Thursday),

Bus

If you decide on the Big Island, would highly recommend the manta ray night dive. It is an unforgettable dive.

My husband and I dove with Wanna Dive (Owner, Steve, is on this board as friscuba). The DM Bob is fantastic and very experienced. Lots of information on Steve's blog: A Kona Hawaii Scuba Diver blabbers on

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Aloha,

NH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom