My tank nearly slid off my BCD yesterday. What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On most recreational dive boats it is the boat staff that handle setting up tanks and tightening the cam bands. Also, very few operations have the space to pull the rig off onto the deck and wrestle with it as you suggest.

This situation happens to everyone eventually. The original poster handled it exactly right. Get someone to help you reposition the tank.

Pete
Maybe in your world, not in mine.
When I was in Mexico I had to do this myself too actually (and I would have insisted on doing it myself anyways) and thats more your part of the world than mine..

This happened to me on one of my first shore dives in Monterrey. I was about 20' down when something did not feel right. I was swimming sideways! Anyway, I signaled my buddies and we ascended. They did not want to or could not fix my tank position and band so I called off the dive. I had read somewhere that you should just crawl out of the surf when there is a problem which is exactly what I did. I was cradling the tank bottom with one hand. However, I crawled right onto shore in the middle of a rescue diver course whose participants quickly claimed me as a victim. Man my face was red when I told them all I had just forgot to wet my tank band and that I did not need any assistance.

Now, I always check my tank and even have a bc that has two bands just for good measure. It was easier and safer for me to call the dive when my buddies declined or could not help me. Calling the dive was no big deal!

I like the rubber non-slip pads you thread your cam strap through, on all my rigs. Learn to pull the strap out of the end slot when it is open, set strap to correct tightness then pull buckle slightly back toward closing position which will hold it in place, then reinsert strap thru end slot and snap closed. Only once had one problem with my tank slipping and that was when I purchased a bcd from a dive shop that was used for ow lessons, both cam straps were incorrectly threaded into the buckle. I frequently change from 72's to 119's so always making adjustments, very quick once you get the hang of it.

I experience several cases, to myself and to my buddy.
Luckily I had train myself hours in the pool, to take off and on BCD with 2nd stage or octopus in my mouth.
So when I had problem and no buddies around, while holding the bottom of my tank, I will try to find a shallow and convenience sand bottom, take off my BCD, fixed the tank and put them back in.

Happened to me once in a drift situation, I just took off BCD (I always use integrated weight system), trying to fix the tank and balanced my depth at the same time, but it works quite well, my buddy at that time was not trained to fix a loose tank, so I just give my camera for her to carry.

In a extreme drift or strong current situation, with no buddies to care for your tank, I think it would be wise to start ascending.

regards....

No offense, but how is someone "not trained to fix a loose tank"? Its the exact same thing you do on the surface before the dive? :eek:

It happened to me and my wife a couple of times each over 400 dives. I know how to tighten a cam-band but sometimes the tank is really slimy and I just couldn't get enough grip. So last year I picked up from my LDS a couple of used ScubaPro cam bands, the ones with the metal clips, and replaced both mine and my wife's.
The difference is huge. Adjustment is much easier (long internal velcro) and they snap firmly into place - you have to be careful not to lose a finger in the process. I doubt if we'll ever experience another tank slippage.

It happened to me and my wife a couple of times each over 400 dives. I know how to tighten a cam-band but sometimes the tank is really slimy and I just couldn't get enough grip. So last year I picked up from my LDS a couple of used ScubaPro cam bands, the ones with the metal clips, and replaced both mine and my wife's.
The difference is huge. Adjustment is much easier (long internal velcro) and they snap firmly into place - you have to be careful not to lose a finger in the process. I doubt if we'll ever experience another tank slippage.

They're great straps. I've never had one loosen up, ever.

flots

2. In Cozumel, I got a tank that breathed fine at first, but suddenly cut off at about 50 feet. Our worst nightmare right? Fortunately my buddy was nearby and we buddy breathed to the surface. Lesson learned: When opening the tank valve, don't turn the value back half a turn as I was taught in class. Instead maybe turn it back just a hair, and a thin hair at that. I've been told that the reason not to turn the valve back half a turn is because rust has been known to build up, especially in these popular destinations, and can more easily choke off a valve if it isn't fully open. I don't really know if that theory is correct and would appreciate it if someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never understand the concept of openning the tank all the way then turn it back a little, whether 1/2 of a turn of 1/4 of a turn, or whatever. If the knob isn't stop, you can't tell a slight open vs half open vs mostly open valve by touching the knob. They feel the same, ie, knob can move freely, air still flow enough that doesn't affact flow check on surface. To me, it is a dangerous practice. Can someone enlight me on this???

I have never understand the concept of openning the tank all the way then turn it back a little, whether 1/2 of a turn of 1/4 of a turn, or whatever. If the knob isn't stop, you can't tell a slight open vs half open vs mostly open valve by touching the knob. They feel the same, ie, knob can move freely, air still flow enough that doesn't affact flow check on surface. To me, it is a dangerous practice. Can someone enlight me on this???

I believe the practice started years ago when older style valves had a tendency to jam when fully open, and turning at back 1/4 turn prevented it from jamming. Not a problem with today's valves.

Back
Top Bottom