My Salvo died before it even got wet! Troubleshooting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We went out for a shore dive today with a new Salvo 10W HID can. I switched it on and before we even walked into the water it had died. Now, the Ni-MH battery had been charged a few days ago, but even with an aggressive self-discharge rate it should have had enough juice for half an hour or so at least!

Anyway, we did the dive. When I got home I charged the battery again--didn't take long, it wasn't that low--and checked out the light. Everything looks fine, and the battery is definitely charged, it's at 14.5V... but the light won't strike. (The problem isn't the connector by the way, I checked it with the multimeter.)

At no time was the light hit, and I didn't monkey with the switch even though these digital ballast lights are supposed to be pretty robust. As the LDS guy suggested, I tried to treat it like a delicate WA light.

I'm going to go back to my LDS tomorrow... I hope they can do an exchange so I don't have to deal with the manufacturer. But is there anything else I can try in the meantime?

Drat! I'll be PO'd if I'm on the hook for an expensive bulb already. That ain't right.

I had a bad ballast on my first Salvo 10W light. Called Salvo, and they shipped me a new lid/cord/ballast/lamp assembly at no charge and I cross-shipped the old lid/cord/ballast/lamp assembly.

I didn't miss a day of diving because of it.

Dealing direct with this manufacturer has never been a problem for me. I'm a satisfied customer.

with an electrical problem like this the troubleshooting is pretty easy.

#1. Check your power source and make sure it is working

#2 if theres power but it isnt going anywhere do a continuity check to see where the circuit is open.

#3 If you have power and it flows then check your output (the bulb)

#4 If everything looks fine so far check ballasts, circuitboards ect.

#5 If by now you still have a problem, start over or hand it over to a professional.

Whoo, glad to hear Salvo is easy to deal with. I had read general good things about their service but nothing so specific. Thanks for the reassurance.

JcoldwaterIL, I can check for voltage at the bulb terminals, but it'll be easier to check the bulb with my LDS' help... I don't think I have probes that would fit anyway. I'm not going to disassemble it and check the boards as it is still under warranty. :)

Salvo really is great to deal with. If I can ever help you with anything regarding them let me know.

Brent

A little more info... I tried re-striking the light in a dark room and iI can see that the bulb flickers just a bit. Presumably, a dead bulb won't be able to do that so it's definitely the ballast at fault. (I could be wrong about how HID bulbs fail though.)

Anyway it sounds like I have nothing to worry about and Salvo will take care of me if the LDS can't do an exchange.

Matt S.:
A little more info... I tried re-striking the light in a dark room and iI can see that the bulb flickers just a bit. Presumably, a dead bulb won't be able to do that so it's definitely the ballast at fault. (I could be wrong about how HID bulbs fail though.)

Anyway it sounds like I have nothing to worry about and Salvo will take care of me if the LDS can't do an exchange.

Since you've ruled out the battery, take it into your LDS and see if they can swap bulbs and even try your bulb in a working can light. If it's not the bulb, then I'd look into having it sent to Salvo.

BTW, who's selling Salvo stuff in the Seattle area?

Northwest Sport Divers on Lake City Way.

thanks Matt... That's good to know. Might have a few Salvo things I might need to pick up next time I'm back in Seattle.

Well hope you get your light sorted soon. If the LDS can't fix it, I'm sure the Salvo folks will take care of you.

Matt, I'm sorry to hear your light didn't fire up and delight you :(

Definitely head directly for NWSD. Matt will take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom