Trip Report My Review Of The Galapagos Liveaboard Calipso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you use the Wi-Fi on the Calipso? They are the only boat I've seen that offers it in the Galapagos (which is critical for my GF who can't go 100% off the grid with her work). I'm wondering if it's fast and reliable enough for routine email correspondence with maybe a few small attachments, not for downloading photos, social media, or streaming (of course).

Thanks!

Yes there was wifi on board but I was only able to access email as websites were too big to load. I was told by the crew that internet in general all over the Galapagos isn't great anyway so even when I got back on one of the islands, it was pretty impossible to post any photos or videos until I got back to the mainland. The further the boat went out especially to Darwin and Wolf islands where it's so remote, the slower any connection became. So I would suggest that this type of trip should be regarded as one to completely go pretty well offline for the week.

Did you use the Wi-Fi on the Calipso? They are the only boat I've seen that offers it in the Galapagos (which is critical for my GF who can't go 100% off the grid with her work). I'm wondering if it's fast and reliable enough for routine email correspondence with maybe a few small attachments, not for downloading photos, social media, or streaming (of course).

I'm curious about this. Awhile back I noticed mention of WhatsApp availability on Explorer Venture's boat the Humboldt Explorer. Per their FAQ "Outgoing calls may be made from the vessel via satellite phone. Please be aware that a charge is assessed for both incoming and outgoing calls.
Vital messages may be passed to guests by calling the booking office at 1-800-322-3577 WhatsApp access is available aboard"

Like your girl friend, Internet access is a big deal for some people and I thought knowing more might come in handy on the forum; I sent an e-mail to ask how much of the week it's available, does it cost money, involve using the boat's computer or your own smart phone or computer with WhatsApp on it to log onto their system wirelessly, and are there restrictions on using it?

I got this reply on 12-22-19:

"Hello Richard,

The satellite phone is available most of the time but is for emergency use only. We have time available but if someone intends to use it a lot we need to prepay additional time.

Whatsapp is available all week as text only. The wifi is not strong enough for video messages or photos.
If everyone onboard is using at once it does not work well. Usually it is not a problem.We have it for use for emergencies and for people to contact family. It is not intended for other use.
It is free and is only available via use of your cell phone. I will check if it works on other devices. IT should.
Regards
Jennifer"

I'm posting because as you noted, Internet access can be a big deal for some divers, it's often not practically assessable on live-aboard trips, and knowing which Galapagos boats offer at least some (and the specifics) may come in handy. I'm glad Clueng gave us more info. on what the Calipso offers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom