My Pro Plus 2 died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackToe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a new Pro Plus 2 about two months ago at my LDS and have logged about 25 dives on it. I rinse and/or soak it after every dive, and generally take good care of it just like the rest of my gear.

As I was gearing up last night, I noticed that the display looked funny. By "funny", I mean a lot of the LCD segments were sort of half-lit, and there was a large backwards "9" at the top of the display. The only thing that appeared to be working was the pressure gauge, so I used it hoping it would fix itself (I always have a backup computer and SPG anyhow).

It didn't get any better, so I tried a new battery today. Upon hot-swapping the battery, there was no improvement. Next I removed the battery and waited about 20 seconds before replacing it, at which point every LCD segment turned on. This is the state it's currently in, and I am unable to make the computer do anything.

I plan to drop it off at my LDS tomorrow, but I'm headed to Mexico in less than three weeks. I'm hoping there is some way I can expedite getting the Pro Plus fixed or replaced and back in my hands by Nov 15th.

Any chance you guys can help me out? Here's a shameless attempt at getting help: I work with a lot of students, and I'd love to relay a great Oceanic customer service story to them. :blinking:

Thanks in advance,
Jared

Your PP2 is probably flooded.

Don't take the PP2 to your LDS, it will only add a layer of overhead to your shipping time. Call Oceanic directly. Tell them what is wrong and that you need it back for a trip. Ship them your PP2, a few days later they will ship you another.

Nov 15 shouldn't be a problem at all, but call Oceanic directly.

Thanks for the tip. FWIW, I saw no evidence of flooding in the battery compartment, but it very well could have flooded somewhere else, and I wouldn't know it.

I'll contact Oceanic now. =)

We've had a couple of folks that had display issues and it turned out to be a flood.

One of our instructors brought his in a month or so ago with the display all screwed up. The LDS owner was smacking it and pushing the buttons, trying to see if it might be a loose battery or something. Suddenly one of the buttons flew off and water shot out like from a hose! :)

Wow, good to know. I spoke with an Oceanic tech yesterday who was very friendly and helpful. I'm sending the PP2 in today, and he didn't think it'd be a problem getting it back in time for my Mexico trip in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for the tip. You probably saved me at least a week in shipping time. =)

Yea, they'll most likely get it back to you before your trip. They're pretty quick. Send it next day delivery.

-Charles

I had the exact same issue with a new PP2 on a dive vacation to Cozumel in February. On its fourth dive the LCD went nuts. Tried a new battery (no water in the battery compartment) to no avail. Had it replaced in a week under warranty. Had to rent a SPG for the rest of the vacation dives, which was a bummer. Haven't had a problem with the replacement. My wife also dives with a PP2 and she has never had an issue with hers.

Irony strikes again. My pro plus 2 is currently some where in shipping. I did not get the advice that you recieved to deal direct. It was and has been exactly as you were told. This will be the third week of using my wifes computer or bumming one! I have experienced several glitches this past summer nothing serious till 3 weeks ago. After three dives in 38-40 degrees my screen blitzed as you have described. Just wondering how you felt about the service and how it performed on your trip? Lesson learned always travel with a back up computer! Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Sorry for not following up. Oceanic was great to work with, and they got me a replacement PP2 in time for my Mexico trip (diving the Choc-Mool cenote was AWESOME!). I've got about 20 dives on the replacement so far without incident.

Since you mentioned temperature, nearly all my diving is in the PNW where the water temp is in the low 40's most of the year. Many of my regular dive buddies use the PP2, and I'm the only one who has had a problem so far.

Good luck getting yours serviced. All computers fail eventually, so don't hold it against the PP2. It's a great computer! =)

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd add to it since I have had an interesting week with my computers. I dove Saturday and Sunday and was getting ready to download the dives into the laptop when the ProPlus2 screen started to dim a few characters then it beeped and turned off. This was about 5 hrs after the dive. I shook it and some water drops appeared inside the screen. It is dead-dead. Looking back, I remember a couple characters going dim during the dive.
Now it is 5 days later and I dove with my wife's ProPlus2 today. I went to download the dives and noticed a few characters going dim. I shook it and it is full of water. It was dead before I could remove the battery. This computer was 2 years younger than the other one.
I had over 300 dives on the first computer and my wife had about 40 dives on the other computer. The last several dives on both computers were shallower than 30 feet. Last 6 months of dives were in 45 degree water.

I can't think of anything I have done different recently to kill 2 dive computers in a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom