"My photos are going to be SO much better when I get my new [insert something here]!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beyond that, even, a lack of a strobe can often be compensated for by ascending to close to the surface.

Well yea, you're shooting in ambient instead of relying on the strobe. But this only works if there's something near the surface to photograph!

interesting

There's always something near the surface, be it up the slope toward shore or in blue water. We as divers often neglect this area, even though this is the area with the most biodiversity. Having dived in a lot of blue, pelagic water, I've learned to always keep an eye on the surface, there's more up there than you might think.

Yea, you may be right Smellz but I just can't spend most of my dive there. I mostly dive the Caribbean and only get to go a few weeks a year. The only thing I ever see up towards the top are those translucent jellyfish. Cool to see but one can only get so many photos of them.

Either way, I believe my point stands. A good strobe is very important. The built-in flash on the P&S camera is too weak and way in the wrong location. A good strobe will outlive several camera upgrades and it's a worthwhile investment.

-Charles

Yes there are things at the surface however only in few cases and with an expert hand you can convert a large fish into a good shot
In your example the shark is looking towards you so you can get it in the frame however there is no context no understanding how big was the shark as the camera field of view is too narrow
It does make a good shot but with a wide angle lens it would have made some other good shots
In essence you need equipment but with good skills you can maximise what you have got at some point you will end the possibilities and need something more

Amigos,

I'll wade into this pool :)

Any accessory strobe will help whether shooting with a Compact, Mid-sized or SLR system. But I've also seen people in bright tropical conditions get nice photos when shooting close and down INTO the reef background using just a built in flash on their compact camera.

Or also turning the flash off and using RAW and bright available light at higher ISOs. A WA lens on compact housings can do a great job in decent light.

IMHO I also LIKE the built in fun scene modes.......They're fun to play with and isn't that what shooting UW images is supposed to be about?

The final thing I'll say is people get crappy shots because they talk and talk and talk, lament about buying more gear (which is what started this thread) but never even go to a damn swimming pool before a trip and try their set up out........

Sigh................

One of my Blog posts on my web site related the "Run What you Brought" idea...........www.haasimages.com and hit the Blog post link........

I tell folks I didn't get decent photos because I'm lucky, gifted, or whatever......

It's because I've put my time in preparing, practicing and then getting "OUT THERE" :)

Just one old geezer's 2 cents :)

David Haas

You have a good point, of course.

Some gear helps, though, for some things.
A half-decent strobe helps for pretty much everything.
Diopters and extension rings help for supermacro.
2 strobes and a nice wide angle lens help for big fish and reefscapes.
Everything else, it's 90% the photographer. Folks have won top photo contests with point & shoots.

Folks have won top photo contests with point & shoots.

Of for sure. No doubt about that. A decent P&S in the hands of a good photographer can yield amazing photos.

Really the overall point I wanted to make was : "Don't upgrade or add gear until it's the GEAR that's become your limiting factor." I just see so many photographers who don't even have a clear understanding of the exposure triangle and yet they're upgrading all the time. I know it's because they're frustrated with their shots and have mistakenly come to the conclusion : "My next upgrade is going to fix that." Sadly, it won't.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom