My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of old style people consider bpw to be tech only. I was flat out told that by a shop owner.
Similar to long hose primary donation. This is just human nature, no different than the thousands of discussions about synthetic vs. non-synthetic motor oils for engine break-ins. Some people don't like change, some are unwilling to change. I'm happy to hear arguments against a BP/W setup for a newbie, so throw them at me. Right now I don't see how better/easier buoyancy control and weight distribution is a bad thing.

Similar to long hose primary donation. This is just human nature, no different than the thousands of discussions about synthetic vs. non-synthetic motor oils for engine break-ins. Some people don't like change, some are unwilling to change. I'm happy to hear arguments against a BP/W setup for a newbie, so throw them at me. Right now I don't see how better/easier buoyancy control and weight distribution is a bad thing.

Since you mention it. I recommend you don't buy a bc at all.

Some people prefer a jacket or back inflate over a bpw. In the recreational world it's all about personal preference. Try different things out and use what you like best.

Since you mention it. I recommend you don't buy a bc at all.

Some people prefer a jacket or back inflate over a bpw. In the recreational world it's all about personal preference. Try different things out and use what you like best.

That's fair, but I prefer simplicity, common designs and fewer failure points wherever possible. I also love modularity, I like the idea of replacing just the parts that are worn or broken, rather than throwing away the entire product. That's why I'm gravitating towards the BP/W. The sidemount argument above was very valid, but if/when I go that route, I'd either keep the BP/W or resell it, so I don't see it as a big deal. Having spares/backups for myself or a buddy is never a bad thing either. When I go dirt biking (most weekends), I have a ton of spare parts with me because most of us ride bikes form the same manufacturer. I've been a ride saver on many occasions.

I totally get the logic behind your statement and you're not wrong. However, let me counter it with the specific stuff the SSI shop told me when I was trying to ask about brining my own BP/W. When I was in the store, the assistant instructor told me that he has something I would love, and took me to show the brand new Apeks Exotec they just received. In case you don't know, that's a $1000 vest-style BC. When I called a few days later to schedule the Try SCUBA with them and asked the owner/main instructor about my own BP/W, he pointed me towards the same product. How much experience do you think they have with that BC, which they literally just received late last week? How many students have worn it who had an emergency that needed the instructor's help? Is it similar to their other BCs? Of course. Is it different in some ways (weight distribution, proprietary buckles, chest strap, etc.)? Yes. I would argue that a Hogarthian harness with a steel backplate is much simpler and should be something the (technical-certified) instructor understands well, and maybe better than a brand new, fancy product.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, I'm not even a diver, so who am I to say anything on this board? But I've been around a while and participate in other hobbies and activities where very similar situations come up.
What you described sounds like a sales pitch. There's a reason the exception is "except equipment you bought from our shop." Pretty much everyone bends the rules when money is involved.

Where I'm currently at in my dive-career, I would NEVER recommend a $1000 vest-style BCD to any diver, unless they had money to waste, or had zero interest in backplate BCDs. If one is serious enough about diving they're likely to get into technical-diving or other "Advanced" forms, then the jacket-style BCD will become obsolete or sub-optimal for their needs. If one isn't that serious about diving yet, they also shouldn't be spending $1000 on a BCD.

As the kind of person who watches the used-market; the used-market is absolutely flooded with BCDs that don't sell for pennies on the dollar. Even though I have no interest in more BCDs, I seem to manage to acquire more, often through buying "lots" of scuba-equipment, which have a few pieces I want, but also happen to come with BCDs or other random gear.

A lot of old style people consider bpw to be tech only. I was flat out told that by a shop owner.
BPW is definitely not "tech-only." When I switched, I found it to be much more reliable, comfortable, and customizable for my needs. (I happened to switch to side-mount soon after, but I'm keeping my BPW setup).

Long-hose donate tends to be an additional skill that is taught or can be learned from videos. It's not hard, but it is an additional skill, not covered in (most) Open Water classes.

An instructor may not have the time to teach long-hose donate in Open Water class, when the student isn't yet skilled in just donating a reg. I mean it's not hard, but it's just something extra, and it's just a little more complicated. In my Advanced Open Water class, my instructor looked at me funny at first because I had a long-hose. I showed him I knew how to use it and has practiced with it, but I wouldn't recommend bringing a long-hose to an Open Water class.
That's fair, but I prefer simplicity, common designs and fewer failure points wherever possible. I also love modularity, I like the idea of replacing just the parts that are worn or broken, rather than throwing away the entire product. That's why I'm gravitating towards the BP/W. The sidemount argument above was very valid, but if/when I go that route, I'd either keep the BP/W or resell it, so I don't see it as a big deal. Having spares/backups for myself or a buddy is never a bad thing either. When I go dirt biking (most weekends), I have a ton of spare parts with me because most of us ride bikes form the same manufacturer. I've been a ride saver on many occasions.
If you're future-proofing, I'd give a strong recommendation for backplate and wing. Now, there are different backplates, different wings, and different harnesses. I'd still recommend you don't buy a BCD (of any style) yet, because it'll give you time to do some research and ask questions. For example, I'd probably suggest a steel backplate, and a "small" wing. Large wings tend to create drag and make managing buoyancy a little more annoying. For the harness ... it depends on your preferences really. A lot of people go with the single-piece webbing setup, and it's fairly easy to learn how to assemble it. You can add or remove d-rings, or shoulder-padding, or customize it in a variety of ways.

That said, don't take my advice here and go out buying a wing, you'll want to start a topic asking for advice on backplate+wing setups. Preferably after you've finished Open Water.

This guy is pretty competent he wears a jacket style bc, can do anything in it better than most

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

and at his stage of his diving career he whispered to me that you should grab any gear you
lay your hands as fast as you can and go diving to maybe one day be as competent as him

There are two TDI/SDI instructors in Huntsville. I don't know either, but I'd wager that if they teach OW, they'd be willing to teach in a BP/W.

For what you've said the shop wants you to pay, you may be able to get a competitively priced individual course from an instructor with tech dive experience.

Go here and search for the course, "Nitrox Diver."

There are two TDI/SDI instructors in Huntsville. I don't know either, but I'd wager that if they teach OW, they'd be willing to teach in a BP/W.

For what you've said the shop wants you to pay, you may be able to get a competitively priced individual course from an instructor with tech dive experience.

Go here and search for the course, "Nitrox Diver."
A TDI instructor is likely not going to teach OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom