My OrcaTorch D810V Video Dive Light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SinkFloridaSink

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

For the last 2 months i've been using the OrcaTorch D810V Video Dive Light non-stop when shooting with my GoPro. This is an amazing light. It's 950 Lumens and has a 120 degree beam. Here's a link to my full product review. If you have any questions, feel free to ask
OrcaTorch D810V Video Dive Light Review

I just looked at your review page. You don't say what LED emitter that light uses. Is it the Cree XM-L2 U2? That's the same LED emitter being used by all the lights I've been looking at - the DGX 600, the DRiS 1K, etc..

It's also the same as used by the Archon D11V Video light. And you can get 2 of the Archon's for what one of these Orca Torches cost. But, the Archon uses 18650 batteries, instead of 26650, so it won't burn as long on a charge. OTOH, the smaller battery does make it a bit less bulky, I suspect.

Anyway... I am now looking at maybe getting the Orca Torch 950 canister light. It appears that the can light uses the same batteries that are shown in the picture in your review - a 4000mAh 26650. Have you tried getting some of the 7200 or 7800 mAh 26650 batteries that can be found on eBay and testing how long your light will run with the stock batteries versus the "higher" capacity ones?

I'm wondering if I could get nearly double the burn time out of the can light by using those replacement batteries.

I just looked at your review page. You don't say what LED emitter that light uses. Is it the Cree XM-L2 U2? That's the same LED emitter being used by all the lights I've been looking at - the DGX 600, the DRiS 1K, etc..

It's also the same as used by the Archon D11V Video light. And you can get 2 of the Archon's for what one of these Orca Torches cost. But, the Archon uses 18650 batteries, instead of 26650, so it won't burn as long on a charge. OTOH, the smaller battery does make it a bit less bulky, I suspect.

Anyway... I am now looking at maybe getting the Orca Torch 950 canister light. It appears that the can light uses the same batteries that are shown in the picture in your review - a 4000mAh 26650. Have you tried getting some of the 7200 or 7800 mAh 26650 batteries that can be found on eBay and testing how long your light will run with the stock batteries versus the "higher" capacity ones?

I'm wondering if I could get nearly double the burn time out of the can light by using those replacement batteries.

Hi stuartv,

The OrcaTorch D810V uses a CREE XML2(U2) LED. In my opinion, the D810V isn't bulky. it does have weight to it, but it feels well built.
I've only used the stock battery. OrcaTorch says the burn time is 190 minutes. Last month I did a 124 minute dive with the light and it lasted the whole time.

At this time I dont need more than 190 minutes.

Im assuming you're on doubles or a rebreather?

Hi stuartv,

The OrcaTorch D810V uses a CREE XML2(U2) LED. In my opinion, the D810V isn't bulky. it does have weight to it, but it feels well built.
I've only used the stock battery. OrcaTorch says the burn time is 190 minutes. Last month I did a 124 minute dive with the light and it lasted the whole time.

At this time I dont need more than 190 minutes.

Im assuming you're on doubles or a rebreather?

I'm just starting Tech training - so, yes, going to doubles. Based on another post, I did some math and believe I need a light that has a minimum 135 minute burn time. I believe this light has the burn time I would need. But, after more research, I just don't think 1 Cree XM-L2 U2 is bright enough for what I will want in a can light as I progress in Tech training. Since it's the same emitter as the lights I have, I will have to just wait and see if my current lights are bright enough. If so, then this can might be a really good option.

On your 124 minute dive, was the light turned on High the whole entire dive?

It's also the same as used by the Archon D11V Video light. And you can get 2 of the Archon's for what one of these Orca Torches cost.

Those are video lights...no good for tec. No hot-spot at all and about a 110 degree beam.
Great for video though.

Have you tried getting some of the 7200 or 7800 mAh 26650 batteries that can be found on eBay and testing how long your light will run with the stock batteries versus the "higher" capacity ones?

26650 batteries in those capacities do not exist. Don't waste your money on them. You will get 1/3rd of that capacity...maybe.
The label will say anything they print on it.

Get quality 26650 batteries from KeepPower in the 5200mAh capacity (make sure they are originals, not clones)

Those are video lights...no good for tec. No hot-spot at all and about a 110 degree beam.
Great for video though.

I know. I have one. I can't remember what it was about his review that made me think to mention the D11V instead of a DGX600.

26650 batteries in those capacities do not exist. Don't waste your money on them. You will get 1/3rd of that capacity...maybe.
The label will say anything they print on it.

Get quality 26650 batteries from KeepPower in the 5200mAh capacity (make sure they are originals, not clones)

Noted. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom