My Official Introduction to GUE - Long Report with Mind-Numbing Detail!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad you enjoyed my report. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANKS FOR POSTING, I enjoyed it.

Have you every considered getting a higher capacity steel cylinder instead of carrying a pony bottle? An HP 130 has even more gas than a AL80 + AL40...

Tom

1) First and foremost, Thanks for the review. I have just passed (recreational) my GUE Fundies with Steve Blanchard in Ottawa, ON and I enjoyed your review. I had the same problem at the 10ft stop, I was driving drysuit and I was so focused on my trim and position that I forgot to remove that tiny bit of air always stuck. Don't worry, the point of the class is giving you tools to better yourself. I hope I got better. :D

2) Aren't Metal-on-Metal clamps a big No? How can you cut yourself free if they get stuck?

3) Doesn't a 130HP bottle make for an unbalanced rig. You would be way overweighted if you ever need to swim up in case of BCD failure. No? Am I wrong?

4) You'll need another Reg Setup for a Pony, why not just make an AL80 double setup and ask for a doubles primer from a GUE instructor if you don't feel safe. You already have 2 regs sets (if you already have a pony)

1) First and foremost, Thanks for the review. I have just passed (recreational) my GUE Fundies with Steve Blanchard in Ottawa, ON and I enjoyed your review. I had the same problem at the 10ft stop, I was driving drysuit and I was so focused on my trim and position that I forgot to remove that tiny bit of air always stuck. Don't worry, the point of the class is giving you tools to better yourself. I hope I got better. :D

2) Aren't Metal-on-Metal clamps a big No? How can you cut yourself free if they get stuck?

3) Doesn't a 130HP bottle make for an unbalanced rig. You would be way overweighted if you ever need to swim up in case of BCD failure. No? Am I wrong?

4) You'll need another Reg Setup for a Pony, why not just make an AL80 double setup and ask for a doubles primer from a GUE instructor if you don't feel safe. You already have 2 regs sets (if you already have a pony)

2. No. The only thing that is discouraged are metal to metal attached with metal connections. The Stage rigging is really attaching some nylon rope to your cylinder with a metal hose clamp. You could always cut the cord. Plus, I always use some sort of tubular webbing around the hose clamp to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion.

3. I dive a HP130 all the time, and the rig is balanced enough. I'm usually wearing a drysuit when I'm diving though. A HP100 is fine when you're diving wet. I can swim up full HP100 from 100' with no problems. I've never tried with an HP130, but I would imagine that wouldn't be a problem either.

4. That's what my wife did! (then she had hip surgery, and we wound up breaking them down to stages though...But it was glorious when it lasted. Four sets of doubles in one garage!)

THANKS FOR POSTING, I enjoyed it.

Have you every considered getting a higher capacity steel cylinder instead of carrying a pony bottle? An HP 130 has even more gas than a AL80 + AL40...

Tom

Yes, I have thought about getting a steel cylinder. I'm not yet sure which way I'm going.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my report. Thanks!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom