My Nitroxbuddy App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people I have know have Androids...
Our plan is to release the My bluebuddy App for Android (4.3) by the end of September.

Link for the sensor?
HERE

And we are hoping it is a successful release soon....
51.gif
We are getting there. We have a dozen of boards that work like a charm.
We are expecting to receive production boards in a couple of weeks max.

The problem with Android is the OS is very fragmented and therefore it is difficult to write a single app that works on all phones. ....
That is correct.
In fact, developing Apps that contain Bluetooth 4.0 low energy capabilities for Android WAS a nightmare (we know something about it since we were among the first to publish BLE Apps on Google Play).
But, I said "WAS" :D
Now, we the advent of Android 4.3, Bluetooth 4.0 LE works like a charm! We tested our My bluebuddy App on several smartphones and we are quite impressed by the 4.3 BLE library. It is as good as the iOS one!
So, make sure you upgrade your Android smartphone to 4.3.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

And we are hoping it is a successful release soon....:praying:

Until there is one I'm not buying.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 01:54 PM ----------

The problem with Android is the OS is very fragmented and therefore it is difficult to write a single app that works on all phones. iPhone are very predictable and the OS adoption rate is high therefore it is easier to write a single app to cover the masses.

I am not a developer just an avid reader of tech blogs.

Reggie in NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's utter crap. I am a developer and apple is just as fragmented. The majority of android users are on a newer version. Plus it isn't hard to account for minor revisions in the application.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 02:01 PM ----------

That is correct.
In fact, developing Apps that contain Bluetooth 4.0 low energy capabilities for Android WAS a nightmare (we know something about it since we were among the first to publish BLE Apps on Google Play).
But, I said "WAS" :D
Now, we the advent of Android 4.3, Bluetooth 4.0 LE works like a charm! We tested our My bluebuddy App on several smartphones and we are quite impressed by the 4.3 BLE library. It is as good as the iOS one!
So, make sure you upgrade your Android smartphone to 4.3.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Don't blame android version fragmentation when the real issue is hardware fragmentation on a new hardware feature. It still isn't a valid excuse, simply target hardware which does have bt 4. Will an iphone 3 work? Nope so there's hardware fragmentation there too but you coded it anyways. You know in meta data that you can specify compatibility on the market. The hard truth is there are more android users than any other platform and coding for apple first is so 3 years ago.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 04:16 PM ----------

I think I've come across a bit aggressive here and I just want to say that I didn't mean to hijack the thread and make this an apple vs android thing. The lack of Android app just hit a nerve. The android fragmentation excuse just got me more. I was also quite annoyed to get my labor day special emails about the dive buddy devices only to find no android app was available. To be honest, I don't even know if my Galaxy S3 support BT4. But I still feel it isn't any more difficult to target an android market than it is an iphone market. You pick an OS version and hardware platform that works and code it. Then you list the hardware requirements and maybe a couple of compatible phones on the website.

Chris

...... special emails about the dive buddy devices only to find no android app was available. ....
???? What about THIS ONE?

As explained in the release notes, The My bluebuddy App for Android should work with any Android smartphone/tablet equipped with Android 4.3 AND Bluetooth 4.0 BLE low energy. ... including the Samsung Galaxy S3 (as long as you upgrade it to Android 4.3 - as we did)

Glad to see it. There were two products on the labor day ad and I admit, I clicked on the o2 analyzer and did not see an Android app. I incorrectly assumed the other did not have one yet too. But then again, it has a date of 8/23 which was a week ago (or that could just be the latest version).

The problem with not launching applications in multiple platforms simultaneously is you are immediately shunning those who can't use it. I will never buy hardware that does not have an app that I can interface with.

Back
Top Bottom