my next "used" obsolete advanced P&S camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

looking for opinions on whut i should buy next...I am actively looking for my next "last" generation replacements as I am cheap and am happy to buy used.

I am mainly looking for camera / housing / lens advice as i think i have arms & lights & strobes figured out (but i could be very wrong...)

I claim I am happy living in the high end P&S camp since I want the ability to do either "okay" macro or "okay" wide angle on the same dive without having to choose ports before hand. My current setup is a sea & sea dx-1g with 110s and wide angle & a subsea +10.

I am willing to change my mind to get significantly better macro.

I do want my next rig to be able to get better macro. I have no interest in anything that requires manual zoom and all the associated port / ring gubbins. P&S is my world. I AM lazy.

I am mostly happy with everything I currently have except my macro zoom capability and the strobes on optical fibre.

The S&S 110's are mostly okay, but sometimes they suck big time. So I have converted my housing to a wired sync cable (not ttl!) so that I can shoot manually. I am happy with manual, not worried about ttl at all. So i think i have the strobe issue covered. (But am willing to learn if you have advice...)

Biggest issue is the ability of my next rig to shoot better macro than my current setup.

Seems like the canon g15 or the sony rx100 WERE getting all the press and have happily been superceded by something better.

Are there others I should look at?
What about other housings? (i.e. my impression is that most prefer non-canon housings for their canons?)

All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance...

And here is a non-scuba pic for your viewing enjoyment:

Adelie Penguin | www.kengiffen.com

Olympus XZ1 / XZ2

Olympus XZ1 / XZ2

You are right those also have an hot shoe. Some people do get good shots out of the XZ2, I see ikelite also offers a true TTL housing.

Good thing is they are widely compatible with a lot of accessories even with the basic housing, bad thing video modes of the olympus are basic

Canon G10, 11 or 12 - all are great cameras that are easy to use and produce great results.

Karl

Thanks for the info on hot shoe compacts.

i have started to do some research and it seems the rx100 II gets bad marks for macro work.

Underwater Camera Articles: Best Underwater Compact Cameras for 2014 knocks its ability to focus on close subjects and notes that a special macro lens is a MUST have. Available Depth of Field for macro is also questioned.

So at first glance the rx100 II is off my list as I want better macro than I currently have.

If any current rx100 users have macro thoughts, please chime in with your opinions and experiences.

If you are into super macro the Panasonic LX7 would be my preference as the autofocus is so good that even with 16 diopters it focus in auto and the lens is really share in center and corner. I could also do bokeh with this camera check this out
Lembeh 2013 - a set on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom