My new Fred T heavy plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scrappy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well I just finished rigging my new Fred T heavy plate... I like it. What a well made plate. Although if you read this Fred, the holes you have drilled for the band bolts were to small for my highland mills bands. I realize it only took me 2 minutes to fix that with a drill, but I thought you might like to know in case you wanted to go up a size on the cnc ( I presume that is what you use ). I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recomended Fred's products.

Scrappy

Fred,
I bought my bands at Christmas time from Abysmal and that is what they came with then. I had to drill a 3/8" hole, no biggy. I appreceate you going out of your way to ship to my FPO address though.

Scrappy :D

I have been wanting a backplate for some time now....from what i understand the FredT ones are the ones to get, are they a better plate than the halcyon, OMS, diverite or any others. Why? are the the same? what actually differentiates a fred T BP over another? AL or SS? Price? weight? Thanks for answering these for me..

The Fred T plate seems to be almost exactly to the Halcyon except for the weight. I needed more weight with my drysuit, so I ordered the heavy plate. He also has the regular 6 pound plate and all the adapters. The other thing about his, is that if you are willing to put in 20 minutes of elbow grease you can save yourself $40 dollars that can be spent elseware. Also I am all about helping out the little guy, and since I am stationed overseas I had to order a plate either way. So i went with his. I don't regret it either.

As for Dive rite and OMS, I can't comment.

Scrappy

Fred's plates come in either Al or 2 different weights of SS. He also has a "short version" for the vertically challenged.
He's got extra holes & slots allowing for the ability to use the widest choice of wings, and there are an extra set of slots for the top harness attachment to give a wider range of fit for different body sizes & shapes.
When you add in the lesser cost, you wind up with a winner all the way around.:D

Fred also uses a better grade of both stainless and aluminum. The halcyon is hardcoated. I dislike coatings, I always scratch them and then the scratch acts as a trap for corrosion.

Fred also cuts two handholds. If you are an old time single tank diver, you can stand behind your rig, with your tank upright on the floor, reach through the shoulder straps, grab the handles, and put your tank on over your head.

so how much is it and how do i get one? website? Thanks

Originally posted by narced_1
so how much is it and how do i get one? website? Thanks

I will send the information in pdf or word 97 format to you via return e-mail if you contact me at ftagge@goldinc.com.

The file with the photos is too large to post here.

Alternately AUL carries my stainless plates. Their site is http://www.aulinc.com

FT

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom