My new DUI FLX Extreme vs. my previous Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Choosing a good (for YOU) drysuit is about as daunting a task as I can imagine. One can spend days, weeks, or even months researching and sampling and agonizing over whether it'll be the right decision. I originally purchased a Whites Fusion with Tech LE skin back in December '09 after weeks of such agony and having to make a choice already. I chose it mainly because I liked how it fit; it was all the rage of the time (thanks FDog and TSandM); and all of the influences of "custom fit is better" but will go bankrupt over -- bankruptcy was not an option. The only things I did to my Fusion was: install a P-Valve, shorten the arm length by 1.5 inches, and install the SciTec dry glove lock system. The Fusion I purchased was not the early adopter cut which sometimes was restrictive in the arms and legs but was from a larger cut after those kinks had been worked out.

For about 300 dives that drysuit has served me well. From before a UTD Essentials class all the way through Tech and Cave with 98% of the diving Southern California cold'ish waters. The three things that nagged at me about the Fusion was 1) the one I bought was right at the crux of the sizing for me so any underwear larger than roughly 200g could not be used -- fortunately I like it cold (more on that later), 2) once I started cave the pockets were no longer sufficient, and 3) I am not fond of the don and doff procedure.

I stressed and I stressed over whether it would take me weeks to learn to dive it. To my surprise it took me all but 15 minutes and I never had any issues after that. Psycologically I attributed that having something to do with the Fusion as opposed to any other but in reality it was most likely due to already having my trim and buoyancy under control -- my wife tried the TLS 350 with her trim and buoyancy under control and had no issues with IT, either. For 2 years and about 300 dives the Fusion has been a fantastic dive companion -- for it accompanied my every dive!

As I do more technical dives (read: deeper or longer) and cave dives I found I needed to use warmer underwear and carry more items in my pockets. So I started again the agony of looking for a different drysuit. Times have changed: most local dive centres don't carry inventory anymore so there wasn't anything to try on without first purchasing it and risking store-credit swaps if I didn't like it. I had my mind set on a Bare Trilam HD Tech but no one could ever get me one to try after months of begging, pleading, and screaming. So in December I was ecstatic to attend a DUI Demo Day with my wife to check out their equipment.

I tried a TLS 350 and FLX 50/50 (they didn't have the Extreme) but in the process learned that I nearly perfectly fit a stock XXS. The Fusion is very flexible so I didn't want anything less. I'm not in a position to judge what is more or less flexible, it was my only frame of reference. I immediately fell in-love with how easy it was for me to don and doff the drysuit. Having used only an MK2 undergarment and my socks in the past and enjoying it being warmer than in a wetsuit, I was in pure bliss when I tried their Polartec and fuzzy socks. I used to think I liked it somewhat cold but I was downright freezing all those 300 dives in the past by comparison but didn't realize it.

My wife loved the fit, warmth (of the 450g undergarment), and comfort of the TLS 350 as well. We bought her the Arctic undergarment 4-piece set not longer after. By the end of the demo event both my wife and I intuitively knew that our next drysuit would be a DUI.

So... I purchased the DUI FLX Extreme at the recommdation of others I know who use it and love it, and at the fact that I couldn't find any negative remarks about it in all my Google searches. It was between the FLX Extreme and a Santi but in the end I live close to the DUI facility so decided it was important for me to have a local manufacturer (I sent my Fusion off to Canada to have arms shortened and it took months before I had the drysuit back in my posession -- so locality was a factor). I got it in all-Black :wink: with ZipSeals (neck and wrist), SELECT with Expedition package (Cargo Pockets and extra cordura on the legs and crotch for scootering) and a P-Valve.

I tried the first dive with it using a Halo 3D beneath and in 57* waters it was so warm (plus needed 12 lbs extra of lead) my heart nearly ceased beating from the onset of heat that thing packed -- I was immediately reminded of why I like it somewhat cold'ish. So now I use a Tilos base layer + the MK2 beneath and am comfortable until my Lava Core arrives. I do not like the DUI Rockboots -- in particular the mile-long laces -- so I will be replacing those with the Santi FlexSole's that some of my compadre's have done with their DUI's and that they will take up arms and kill for before using another boot.

I'm very happy with the flexability, the perceived durability of it (above and beyond how I perceive the TLS 350 by comparison), the ease of donning and doffing, and how there wasn't too much of an adjustment learning to manage the bubble that isn't really there with the Fusion. I think I have some to go since I tend to dive shrinkwrap but when I do add more air than usual, it wasn't too much an issue. I can reach my valves easier than in the Fusion (because the Fusion is a tad short for my body length) I had no problems getting accustomed to the larger pockets and in fact, I'm much more efficient getting things in-and-out of them then when I did so with the Fusion. It may be psychological but I feel warmer in my Fusion with just an MK2 undergarment than I do in the DUI with just an MK2 so I use the Tilos + MK2 in the DUI and seem warmer yet than when my Fusion. I've bounced back-and-forth and consistently feel the same way. I have 5 dives on the new DUI thus far.

We ordered my wife her first drysuit yesterday and based on my overwhelming satisfaction (and that of my other friends who received their FLX Extreme at roughly the same time I did and were just as happy) she decided to order an FLX Extreme, also, instead of a TLS 350.

Over all, while I can keep a straight face when I say I like both drysuits I will smile with glee when I say I love my DUI FLX Extreme.

Thank you leabre. Do you have any pictures showing the fit of the Extreme? How close are your actual body measurements to the DUI sizing table?

I'll gt some pictures soon. My dimensions are damn near spot-on with the listings for the size but DUI has a roomy cut. spaecious in the chest or shoulders but not detrimentally or annoying. Another drysuit I tried also was exatly the same measurements as the DUI but had a tighter cut. I prefer DUI's.

Show off! :p

Show off! :p

You got a nice drysuit, too. The boots on the Nortek are the same as the santi flex soles that I want to put on my DUI. When are you coming back to dive SoCal waters?

Coming next month to do my sidemount on 15 and 16. Did you say your wife has the Arctic 3 piece? How does she like it?

She hasn't dove them yet, will as soon as her drysuit arrives.

Let me know. From our previous conversation I thought u would have gotten her the one piece version. I'm still deciding between the 1 piece and 3 piece

Yeah, there's two dynamics in this marriage: 1) what I 'recommend' and 2) what she actually demands. She tried the many piece and liked it. Besides that, for the Fusion I would never do anything but a 1-piece or it will get all bunched up and so on. But in the DUI I don't think I'd have such a problem, the shell isn't as tight to my skin (or hers in this case). So I've since re-thought the topic. My only previous experience was with the Fusion and I'm learning there are enough differences between a traditional drysuit and it that I wouldn't have realized until I had dived both types of drysuits.

Personally, I really like the bubble management of the Fusion sooooooo much better and I think she would, too. My wife also tried a Fusion and liked it (in the store only) but she thought that because I felt a need to eventually replace the Fusion with the DUI that she would just go straight to the DUI. She likely would not have experienced the same issues I did with the Fusion because it would be a proper fit and she's no cave diver (nor ever will be, according to her).

In the end, what makes her happy makes me happy.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom