My new baby....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenazah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 3 months of building it piece by piece (through ebay mostly), my new baby is finally done. I bought everything second hand, except for the sync cord. I already have the strobes, focus light and the arms from my previous A570IS system.

IMG_4990.JPG

Here's what I have:

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 50mm Macro lens
Ikelite Housing
2 YS-90DX Strobes
Fisheye mini focus light

I also have the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and 6' dome port. But I will concentrate on the macro setup first.

I will do some pool testing Tuesday and Thrusday, then off to Anacapa island on Saturday.

Any tip????

Very nice. I'm looking at setting up a similar rig (only new) with a 40D. I'm hoping to go with the Sigma 17-70 as a general purpose lens, the 60mm Canon macro, and like you, the 10-17 Tokina fish eye lens. I,m in the process of selling just about everything I own to afford it, along with all the grovelling and begging to the wife who happens to be an accountant (being allowed to spend money is like trying to get blood out of a stone). Would love to see some shots once you return. Good luck.

Thanks Alcina.

I feel you Parso, ideally I would like to have a Dual DS-125 or DS-160. For now I'm just gonna use whatever I got.

Cheers jenazah
I'm glad someone feels the pain. My non diving friends just don't understand. It looks like great minds think a-like as that is the strobe set up I'm eventually hoping to get. I'll probably start off shooting natural light, then go single strobe and eventually end up with a dual strobe set-up.

The only problem I see is the 6" dome with the Tokina 10-17 lens. I tried that since Ryan suggested it to me. Unfortunately the 6" dome will give you SERIOUS vignetting problems. Yes, it's cheaper than the 8" dome, but had I known I would be almost wasting my money, I would have started with the 8" anyway.
After a year of not being able to use the fisheye without cropping out the vignetting, I finally got the 8" dome.

I finally took some pictures with the 30D. I had some problem with my macro port so I used the Tokina Fisheye instead. I set it at 13mm so there's no vignetting with the 6 inches dome. Here are some pictures from the pool session and the diving trip to Santa Cruz Island.
Visibility wasn't great in Santa Cruz yesterday, around 20 feet with lots of particle, so I'm pretty happy with the result.

2765813768_86d64d4f30_o.jpg

2769215087_d6ca2cfb01_b.jpg

2769216367_06bf2b9089_b.jpg

Great man...I'm in the midsts of the same thing. Have an ikelite 5D housing coming I got a great deal on...too bad I have a 20D camera :) That's the part that will make this expensive. Got a ds-50 and ike arm to go on it with a ds-120 to order after the camera. Question though, how are you attaching the fisheye light? IS that to an ike arm?

Back
Top Bottom