Question My neck octo & hose is flying around, how to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the tank on your left side a bailout? If so why not get rid of the octo. clean up nicely then. in the event of your buddy needing air give them the bailout.

Make a loop of thin bungee cord (the size of spaghetti noodles) and use that instead. It’s much stretchier and will likely allow you to not have to undo the hose.
Good idea! The saved effort may be worth it. Now to dig out that video of the sliding knot I saw and figure how to lock it once the bungee is tightened…
I understand.. 29" is too long, but if that's what you have you should be able to make it work. It's ok to unscrew the hose, just make sure you turn it with a wrench to snug it up, only takes 1/8 turn.. not much at all. Use bicycle tube and the 90,you can probably make it work.

Ultimately, find a shorter hose though (if you can). I'm not sure what shipping to your country would be... any idea?

I checked an online store in EU - it’s 50 eur shipping for a 18 eur item. The 22” can wait since I am not starting any tech diving course immediately I can experiment with taming suboptimal hose length configuration on relatively safe Rec dives and see how it goes.

Is the tank on your left side a bailout? If so why not get rid of the octo. clean up nicely then. in the event of your buddy needing air give them the bailout.

Yeah it's a pony for solo diving.

And true that when I'm sling that I can dive without the Octo.

Although the complication is that I a don't dive with pony, thus will need an octo.
So to make things easier, and also to avoid situations where I show up in a buddy diving situation without my pony and without an octo, I simply don't take it off so it's always there.

It seems to me there're three things:
1. Miflex hose. I think it's too stiff. I have less of an issue when I'm using rubber.
2. hose length? I need to measure but I'm guessing this is indeed a 22 miflex.
3. necklack length, seems mine is too long.

Route that errant hose UNDER your arm.

Tie your own necklace. Plenty of videos on how to do that.

Route that errant hose UNDER your arm.

Tie your own necklace. Plenty of videos on how to do that.
The OP is in Seattle, so no reason for him to not just buy a shorter hose, either 22" or 24". It shouldn't make that much difference whether it's rubber or Miflex as long as it's the proper length, although I prefer rubber.

The OP is in Seattle, so no reason for him to not just buy a shorter hose, either 22" or 24". It shouldn't make that much difference whether it's rubber or Miflex as long as it's the proper length, although I prefer rubber.

Some recreational divers have odd stuff going on with their hose lengths so I offered a simple solution to tame it.

Use rubber hoses.

Back
Top Bottom