My Lombok Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All

Many thanks to those of you who responded with tips on Lombok. I just spent a week there and hopefully, this trip report will come in useful to whoesoever may be considering Lombok as a dive or simply a holiday destination. In this report, there may be a few unfamiliar terms here which I won’t spend too much time explaining. Sites like Virtual Tourist do a better job.

Standard Operating Procedures
If you stay in any of the 3 Gilis, the usual day involves meeting at the dive centre at about 0900 h for the first dive. Transport to the dive site usually takes 10-20 mins in a outrigger boat. Not extremely spacious, but still comfortable.

2047089470089280766wirskk_ph.jpg

The Outrigger Boat

Before each dive, entry from and exit to the shore is a clumsy climb between the boat’s twin engines. As for the dives, entry into the water is via a back-roll and exit is via a ladder. After the first dive, which should end by 1100 h, you’re taken back to the dive centre. The second dive starts at 1400 h so you have just about 3 hours to have a leisurely lunch, at your own expense. Night dive starts at 1830 h, should you opt to do it. So if you stay on mainland Lombok, which in all likeliness would be in Senggigi, the dive centre’s transport will pick you up at about 0800 h and drive you to Bangsal, and then take you on a boat to it’s operation on one of the Gilis. Similarly, after the last dive of the day, they’ll return you to your resort in Senggigi. Expect to pay a little bit more for this arrangement.

The Dive Sites
After reading reports about corals being bombed out by dynamite fishing and El Nino, I was initially apprehensive about the diving in the Gilis. But in my opinion, the sites are actually not as bad as they’re made out to be. Ok, maybe you don’t see as much colourful corals in places like Manado but marine life is very healthy. Apart from the usual reef fishes,

2348793520089280766cIoRtz_ph.jpg

It was Cuttlefish galore!

2181931120089280766EGZJVZ_ph.jpg

You can't miss them too

2005115060089280766LJxavz_ph.jpg

Anyone doesn't know what these are?

I never fail to miss Turtles and Cuttlefish on every dive. Unicornfish are common too, so are Bumphead Parrotfish. I only saw 1 of the latter but the other group on the boat saw a school of them. However, when I was there, no Sharks at Shark Point, and no Mantas at Manta Point.

The Dive Operators
I dived with Manta at Gili Trawangan. Before each dive, the staff will attach your BCD and regulator onto the tank and carry it to the dive boat. The same goes for after the dive. They’ll also wash your gear for you.

2581665940089280766amwseG_ph.jpg

Manta Resort - Nice comfortable bungalows, with outdoor showers too! Kinky!

2844868550089280766tnQyei_ph.jpg

Manta Dive Centre - A simple setup

I also love the fact that they keep their groups small. No group had more than 4 divers to 1 guide. Most guides are local and are great at spotting and pointing out stuff. Especially so for the guide I had. Herman has years of experience and has eyes of a hawk. He’s very accommodating and extremely helpful. Definitely a star dive guide.

2940032310089280766KcTeQw_ph.jpg

The man - Herman

If there’s anything on the wish list for Manta, it would be a briefing. A briefing before your first dive with them - showing you where rack for regulators is and what will happen to your gear overnight, is useful. The other operator which has received many positive comments on the internet is Dream Divers. One said they provided “amazing customer service”. I can vouch for that though I didn’t dive with them. After staying on Gili Trawangan, I spent the second half of my trip in Senggigi, intending to dive in South Lombok’s The Magnet with Dream. I visited their office and was advised that conditions at The Magnet was bad that day. I decided to postponed the dive for 1 day hoping for the condition to improve. They got back to me the next day saying that the group that went to South Lombok didn’t go to The Magnet as the condition was still bad. To cut the long story short, they were extremely professional and appear that they’re not just after your Rupiah. I would certainly dive with them the next time I go to Lombok.

Getting Around
Around Lombok, there’re Cidomos for short distance of 1 km or so. I won’t expect to pay more than IDR 5,000 for that. Although you can pay about IDR 30,000 for round the island ride on Gili Trawangan to see the sunset.

2733692650089280766rNOEpS_ph.jpg

The Cidomo - Do not, I say again, do not miss this!

2013021940089280766ULBhPH_ph.jpg

And this too - Sunset from the west of Gili Trawangan

For medium distance, there’re Bemos which charge about IDR 5,000 for a 30 min or so ride. They serve a route so they won’t make a detour for you, unless you charter them, of course. Which I did to go to Sendang Gila Waterfall. For a 5-6 hours charter, I paid IDR 150,000 to and from Senggigi. At the waterfall, or at the Nature Park, being a very remote location, be on your guard for robbers. Many guide books mention incidents that happen years ago but I believe the threat is still very real. If you want to get from Senggigi to Cakra, the Balinese quarter in Mataram, take a Bemo to Ampenan. From there, you can easily catch a yellow minibus to Cakra. Just simply stand by the road and the minibuses will simply stop to ask you to hop on. The minibus, being public, is not exactly comfortable but definitely an interesting experience.

What I Should Have Known…
When getting from Bangsal to the Gilis on a budget, you can take a public boat to the island. By public, it means that cost is low, like IDR 8,000. It also means it’s not a luxury cruise. The boat only leaves when there’s enough passengers, in the range of 20 or so, many of whom are locals with boxes of goods and baskets of produce.

2143734800089280766ZmGqQK_ph.jpg

El cheapo Public Boat

There’s no jetty in use in Bangsal so expect to get to get your feet, and a good part of your legs wet. Backpacks are a good idea. It’s no wonder Gili Trawangan is called a backpackers’ island. I made the mistake of bringing a gigantic four wheeler luggage. That means I needed porters to carry my bags off and onto the boat. Going rate is IDR 1,000 per bag and knowing that you’re a tourist from a first world country, they’ll ask for more. As for Gili Trawangan, there’s a jetty so you won’t have to worry about getting wet again. Right? Wrong. There’s a jetty but throughout my stay, I’ve not seen any boats using it. This is just so puzzling.

If there's anything that I missed or got wrong, please feel free to mention!

Happy diving!

F/E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom