My Key West trip report…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayG

Registered
Reaction score
My buddies and I just got back from Key West 7 hours ago and really had a good time.

Driving:

We left Columbia at 5:30 (CST) on Wednesday evening and arrived in Key West at 4:30 (EST) on Thursday. The Florida turnpike was definitely the way to go, I drove 90MPH to try to keep up with traffic and I people were still passing my like I was standing still. My Best friend did the math and we averaged something like 84MPH on the whole turnpike.

Hotel:

We stayed at the Hampton Inn which was a great choice. It had a great breakfast, a good TIKI Bar (although expensive), a decent pool. We were even allowed to let one of the guys who was going to do the resort course to take a BC into the pool and practice blowing through a tank.

Diving:
We had originally planed on diving Friday and Saturday but due to some killer sun burn on Saturday morning we only dove on Friday night.

We dove with Captains Corner in Key West (http://www.captainscorner.com/) and they taught a resort course in a private pool that was really nice. The instructors were very nice and knowledgeable and finished up the resort course in less than two hours.

If you have a friend/wife (Mine is going to do the resort course at this place later this summer). This is a great place for a first dive and is really affordable. I did my whole dive for $40 (plus a $40 tip for the two resort guys and me).

They had a great boat (Sea Eagle) and a great crew and captain. We did two dives on two different reefs which was very fun. The instructor went the extra mile with the resort course divers and made sure everyone was comfortable and enjoying their first diving experience. . (The guy must have swam 10 miles in the two hours we were down. I know he circled my group of friends at least 20 times).

Fishing:

We thought we would try some fishing on Saturday morning. We went out for four hours and had a blast even thought we didn’t wear any sun screen. One of the guy ended up getting sick from the sun so we took him back to the room and ended up skipping the second dive.

On the fishing trip we caught a 6 foot shark which was one of the highlights of the trips.

Night Life:

Its Key West…. If you haven’t been go! We had a blast and had more “Fo-Fo Drinks” then I want to remember.

jayg,
thank you for your report.
sun screen sometimes comes in handy.
did you make it to either kelly's or flying monkee's?
i'm sure when y'all get certified we will hear stories of strength and daring.
the summer is young so please keep us posted.
regards,

smokey braden:
jayg,
thank you for your report.
sun screen sometimes comes in handy.
did you make it to either kelly's or flying monkee's?
i'm sure when y'all get certified we will hear stories of strength and daring.
the summer is young so please keep us posted.
regards,

We went to the Flying Monkee's! Great Choice....

As it turns out out or dive insturctor (Mick) was also the head of security at fogartys so he was able to hook us up with some free drink cupons and a super hot watriess who ended up giving us 15% of our bill. Flying Monkeey will be a must stop on Duval from now on.

My friends are going to call a local dive shop and try to get their card by next month so we can head back to Key West very soon.

Glad to hear you had a great time, and you must not have caused too much trouble because I didn’t hear any complaints about a bunch of Tigers in Key West.

Bill51:
Glad to hear you had a great time, and you must not have caused too much trouble because I didn’t hear any complaints about a bunch of Tigers in Key West.

You know, I didnt see one JayHawk all weekend. It was a nice break from having to tell them how much they suck. : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom