MY Island Safari II in the Maldives- Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scared you are right, it is. i was not thinking that through particularly!

Judging by these few responses from the "locals", it doesn't seem like anything changed at all. I'd be looking for a "we've reviewed our policies and made changes to ensure the safety of our guests" kind of response rather than the "oh that hasn't happened in a long time" response. What does time have to do with it, besides you perhaps forgetting the lesson? And the "how dare you question us, I'll intimidate you into not asking that question, just trust us" was the worst. That is indicative of a "ignore the problem" attitude to me. That was exactly the attitude that was discussed in the Baani issue thread.

You're darn right in asking your question and are fully justified. Keep that attitude times 10 on the boat. Hope the trip works out well.

Thanks Shasta
i do admit the responses are a bit disappointing. Still, the Maldives is an outstanding dive location and one which i am willing to take that extra trouble for. i have ordered a CO analyzer and I will be using it. Hopefully, it will be a "wasted effort" :)

In general... I want tell you that there are a lot of highly respected professionals working on safari boats in the Maldives.

The problem is is separating the wheat (the professionals) from the chafe (the unprofessional). That is often pretty hard when you are thousands of km or miles away. Personally given the response by the Maldivian police and the live-a-board association Nikk has every right to be nervous. Be glad that he is even considering visiting. Others have written off coming all together.

Better not to add any more words since I find your post very offensive.

I find it offensive that a diver died because some cheap excrement of an operation let something like this happened. Even more offensive is the owner/operator then fled the country letting a local who is paid squat take the fall. Mean while the police and maldives live-a-board association appear to be doing nothing to correct the problem over than paying lip service. Your comments are not helping the cause.

If you want to help your cause I would kindly suggest that you provide concrete evidence that things are changing. Otherwise, you of might as well be offended that you are perhaps out of a job.

we have just returned from this trip. It was superb! the boat was excellent, the dive operation was safe, the dive leaders were careful and thoughtful. we were also very lucky to see four whale sharks (one while diving, three while snorkelling), mantas and lots and lots of other creatures. I would have no hesitation in recommending this operation.

The original poster has every right to state his concerns regarding safety with the level of Maldives liveaboards. I think that too often we as divers allow situations to progress beyond what is reasonable or what are expected safety standards because we don't want to create a personal problem. Sometimes that which is perceived as a "personal" problem can become a dive safety issue. Five foot squall driven seas, no life preservers, no O2, no radio in a 14 foot panga 1/2 hour from shore. Poor operator or poor dive managemanet?

we have just returned from this trip. It was superb! the boat was excellent, the dive operation was safe, the dive leaders were careful and thoughtful. we were also very lucky to see four whale sharks (one while diving, three while snorkelling), mantas and lots and lots of other creatures. I would have no hesitation in recommending this operation.

Any chance of a full report? Pics? I've been thinking about the Maldives for a while. June through August are the only months when we could go, and I've always heard that's not the best time, but it sounds like you had a great trip.

June and july is officially rainy months of the year. But as you all know. Everything is changing all around the world. So its not the same like before. This year it has not been bad. Not alot of rain. Fot this reason its the low season. But i think if you are going on to a liveaboard there should be no problem. As you will be doing only the Highlights from each atoll or an area.

If you plan to stay on an island be more carefull in choosing the island. Specially if you want to
see mantas and Whale-shark.

Good Luck.

Any accident is always a concern and tragic when there is a loss to a life without a doubt.
I was on the GBR and on day one there are an tragic incident 12 minutes into dive one where there was a loss of a life so I am fully aware of such horrors.

However I've been going to the Maldives for the last 10yrs and have not seen or encountered any issues what so ever. Our kids did thier open water there, our daughter and son-in-law are flying out with us later in the year and I have no hesitation what so ever recomending the Maldives.

Yes when there is such incidents it makes everyone stop and think and whilst I'm not brushing over such events the Maldives has less incidents historically than other destinations - that said I know any incident is however an incident. I would say though it's about doing some checking and homework before you rush forward and book anything.

The Maldives is a truly fantastic destination and the people are wonderful people who rely heavily on the holidaymaker and it is one of the top dive destinations and therefore cannot ignore such tragic incidents but one should'nt cross the Maldives off thier wish list but more importantly do your research, ask your Q's direct/via other divers, put your concerns directly to the dive operator.

Having had the issue in GBR it made me stop and think and ask Q's directly...I tend to over think things (it's a women thing lol) and always think the 'what if?' and theres nothing wrong with that but if we dismissed everything due to every 'issue' we would'nt do anything/go anywhere.

For the past 3yrs we've gone back to the Maldives with the same operator but it took me hours/days/weeks of researching and lots of conversations before making my final choice.

Happy holidays and heres to fantastic dives
Vicky

Back
Top Bottom