My heartfelt thanks to the California diving community

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got certified when I was stationed in Okinawa in December of 1999. While there I had maybe 30 dives but due to people rotating out and changes in job responsibility I stopped diving after a short while. After I got out in 2002 I started working and going to college and didn't really have the time to pursue diving. Combined with not knowing anyone who dives it got pushed to the back burner of life.

In the years to follow my brother got certified and we made an effort to dive together. However, due to family issues our plans got pushed to the side. Once those issues were resolved he still didn't have a lot of time to dive due to his family and work.

In late 2008 I decided that I really wanted to start diving again and made a big effort to find people to dive with. I soon found ScubaBoard and registered. On December 30th 2008 I meet up with ryssyr and Hepcat for a dive at breakwater. Due to not having my weighting right and not being used to carrying all that equipment (so I couldn't go out of the water, get more weight, and go back in) I ended up not diving that day. I then contacted Brewski and signed up for a refresher course. Initially we tried to do it at Folsom Lake but fate intervened and gave Brewski a hole in his wrist seal. So we pushed it back to the weekend and did it at Monterey.

As I was preparing for my returned I decided on a goal of 100 dives in a year. I figured if I could make that then I would have done a significant amount to ensure I would continue to dive. On Jan 10th 2009 I did my first dive and on Jan 9th 2010 I did my 100th dive. In that time I've had the pleasure of diving with some of you. You have mentored me, guided me, and encouraged me and for that I am so grateful. Scuba diving is more then a past time for me. It is an activity in which I have no problem being social, meeting up with perfect strangers, and building bonds of friendship.

Here is hoping that the next year and the years after are even better.

- Mike

I am glad you stuck with it. What an impressive year. Our last dive together was great! We'll have to go out again soon.... as long as you dont buy that scooter and leave us kickers in the dust.

Mike,

Impressive anecdote, and I'm glad I got to see you dive throughout 2009. I remember the first time seeing you at Break Water with Brewski when you were getting your weighting situated.

Next, I am diving with you on the Sanctuary and see your new camera and get you on video testing it out.

Next, I dive with you at Point Lobos and my mask floods and you are there to assist me. :)

Then there is Essentials class that I will not forget, we learned so much. :)

I am looking forward to our mini class in doubles, glad you came back to diving, you are a wonderful diving buddy. :)

MG

Cheers Mike! I think that first dive with you and ryssyr was my first dive with anybody from the Scubaboard NorCal posse, and it was a great first time out. I remember feeling really terrible that you didn't manage to extract a dive from that day... Now I mostly feel jealous of how much diving you managed to get in while work was kicking my ass. :D

Yeah, get your own damn scooter! Thanks for diving with me :)

In dedication to Mike's accomplishment to diving in 2009, I went back to my small archive of pics and video I have of Mike M. I came up with something nice for him, hope all will enjoy the video. :)

Mike G

Great accomplishment Mike! You even joined the power ranger club during that time too. :) Congrats!!!

Happy diving Mike! I guess I will forgive you for not diving NYE with me. You owe me big time!!! I want 5 dives for missing that one!!! :fishslap:

Back
Top Bottom