Trip Report My hasty T&C Aggressor trip report May 12-19 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great report @darook! I definitely remember seeing tarpons in the T&Cs, especially on night dives, but it has been 4 or 5 years since we were last there. Maybe not as many tarpons as we are used to seeing in Bonaire or the Caymans, but it was not unusual to encounter tarpons and barracudas in the T&Cs.

I have a strong memory of swimming down a coral tunnel while heading out toward the wall on a night dive and seeing a large, dark, shape coming straight at me! I thought that it was a shark but then my light caught the shiny reflection of a very large tarpon.

Deep sea fishing and bone fishing are popular sports in the T&Cs, I hope that the tarpon population hasn't been dwindling due to fishing activities.

Or maybe the strong presence of sharks reduces the numbers of other big predators, due to competition for food? I haven't been to the Bahamas recently but they've always had a reputation for sharks, are tarpons also common there? I don't remember.
turks & Caicos DONOT have Tarpon ! dam big Black Jacks YES ! not tarpon!!! ever!

turks & Caicos DONOT have Tarpon ! dam big Black Jacks YES ! not tarpon!!! ever!
Sorry - that’s not true. I’ve seen tarpon in Turks and Caicos. The large fish in the first part of the video are definitely not Black Jacks (which look NOTHING like a tarpon, even when they are “damn big”).

Black Jack:
7CD7819F-01E1-4F9E-88B6-8D582783BCDB.jpeg

Tarpon:

6A3D1FFB-4C80-4A7C-86E1-2B918F876B73.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom