My First Video ever - Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I just finished my first foray into video and editing. Did a local dive this past weekend at Blue Heron Bridge. The weather was crappy, overcast and rainy. It made it a challenge to deal with the changes in lighting especially with the underside of the bridge as well as water clarity with tide flow.

I used a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, 1080p/60 protune and WB raw. I have no lenses or lights as of yet so I did all color corrections with a set of WB cards and the greatest depth was 23 ft. The darkness under the bridge was too much so I had to improvise with the color correcting best I could. I would have also benefited from framing the WB cards in frame a bit more often due to the ever changing lighting that day. I did editing with Vegas Pro.

Dealing with a pole mount is tricky. I now see that many of my movements were too jerky and I often didn't notice my camera as binge tilted to the side. I see a new tray purchase in my near future. The capabilities of this camera's focusing distance to subject is another thing I 'm now more familiar with.

Well it's a learning experience and fun as well.
[video=vimeo;71364393]http://vimeo.com/71364393[/video]

The music choice was perfect. Honestly bro, that was as close to the best video I've ever seen when you compare what it feels like to dive in the environment you were in. The music went along with not only the video but the mood of the scenes.

Excellent and I want more from you. I have subscribed and would like to thank you for the 5-6 mins of joy you provided for me while my feet are still on land.

Cheers
Garth

Thanks a bunch. :D
Didn't think my first try would be that good. I'll probably be doing another dive there next month and a few dives around the Western Caribbean in Sept. Hope to have more videos soon.

Thanks a bunch. :D
Didn't think my first try would be that good. I'll probably be doing another dive there next month and a few dives around the Western Caribbean in Sept. Hope to have more videos soon.

Are you a member of thedecostop.com or Rebreatherworld.com or CCRexplorers.com?

If not can I post your video? I like the way the music and the feel of the video go together. Want to see what others think. So chill.

Good start mate! :cool3:

Colours are good from the RAW / MWB!

Will await your next one! (it gets addictive videoing and editing movies :) )

I'm using the iSteadyPro mount - well happy with it!

Well I just bought a GoPro hero3 black last night. I'm learning a little bit about the wb and the raw video. Where do you get the white black and grey cards?

Poor little scared octopus! Those fish looked intent on a meal . . .

I enjoyed the video, and the music, although I normally hate that kind of repetitive copyright-free stuff, was actually very nice for the dive. I wish I had gotten to the BHB when I was back in Florida a couple of years ago -- it always looks to me like my kind of dive.

Well I just bought a GoPro hero3 black last night. I'm learning a little bit about the wb and the raw video. Where do you get the white black and grey cards?
I bought them from right here Amazon.com: Optek Premium Reference White Balance Card - 3 Card Digital Color Correction Tool: Camera & Photo. This previous thread discusses what I did a bit morehttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...white-balance-using-white-reference-card.html

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

Good start mate! :cool3:

Colours are good from the RAW / MWB!

Will await your next one! (it gets addictive videoing and editing movies :) )

I'm using the iSteadyPro mount - well happy with it!

Yes it is quite addictive. I'll be getting a tray and some lights not too far down the road. I gotta keep that pole more steady in the meantime.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 10:49 PM ----------

Poor little scared octopus! Those fish looked intent on a meal . . .

I enjoyed the video, and the music, although I normally hate that kind of repetitive copyright-free stuff, was actually very nice for the dive. I wish I had gotten to the BHB when I was back in Florida a couple of years ago -- it always looks to me like my kind of dive.
I think I'll be hitting the bridge up again next weekend, my has sister been wanting to dive it for a while and will be coming along. I'll also be trying out an SRP filter and new SD card, that last dive the GoPro stopped recording on it's own like 8 times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom