My first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corsair really did try to warn you about the tree limb...I think he just confused the "shark" signal with the "impending tree" signal:)

Mermaid - as DivingGal said, relax and enjoy it. Once you get in the Open water, you will be so amazed by the feeling of weightlessness and actually being down there scuba diving that everything will be fine. You're lucky if you already have good buoyancy control... took me several goes before I started to get comfortable with it.

GOOD LUCK!
:)

Hey all,

My confined water dive #2 really made a difference in buoyancy control. I had more of a sense where everything was. I really had a lot of fun (even during the more challenging excersizes).
However, the strap of my fin ended up cutting the back of my leg a bit....maybe I had it too high? What do you guys think is better--full foots or strapped?

Thanks!

MM,

I am assuming you had your booties on. If so, you must have had the strap way too tight if it cut your skin. I believe you'll findd that most people on this board wear the fins w/straps.

The booties provide protection for your feet while walking to the divesite.

MM - I started off with full fins but my ankles can't handle them for some reason and they always give me blisters (one so bad I had an infection for a month!). Now I use booties and strap fins - no problems whatsoever. Were you wearing boots? Its sounds like you couldn't have been if the strap was cutting into you. Anyway, type of fins depend on your feet and preference. Hope you find the most comfortable solution!

MM, I started with full-foot fins, but I changed my mind the first time I had to walk on rocks in bare feet. By the end of my first full year of diving, I was using booties and open-heel fins and now I would not have it any other way. Last year when I went to Cayman, I did a beach dive which I was walking over rocks covered with Sea Urchins. My personal preference is booties and open-heel fins but opinions do vary.

Dear Jimbo and Allison,

Surprisingly so, I had booties on. I think what happened was that the strap probably came over the bootie without me noticing it.

In fact, I went on a charter boat (I was snorkeling) and saw that many divers had booties on--walking around was much easier than those without.

I'm putting some antibiotic cream on it , I sure hope it heals for my Saturday o/w.

Thanks for your tips!

As was mentioned:
- beach conditions not always ideal - save your feet
- can be used in warm or cold water conditions
-- therefore can be used for dry suits if you plan right

I have two types of "booties". One pair - the standard kind has the boot that ends above my ankle. The other pair is not really a bootie, rather a pair of surf shoes. The latter I use only when snorkeling (when I don't need ankle weights), the former I use all the time other than when I have my drysuit on.

I do have a pair of full foot fins - but I only use them in the pool.

Hi MM - I don't know how severe your rubbing wound is and how easy it is to get infections over there but having experienced a tropical infection twice now, I am more than paranoid about open wounds. Last time I had to have a tetanus shot plus wear a bandage on my ankle for almost 3 weeks to keep the wound dry - not to mention being off diving/out of the water for that length of time!

A friend finally introduced me to this yellow antibiotic powder called something like Bicotin which you dust on the wound after cleaning it (I used Betadine) and it dries up everything very quickly. It's particularly good for diving accidents when everything is usually wet.

My $0.02... which should probably be in the diving medicine forum, but never mind. Hope it clears up by the weekend!

a product called Granulex, it's used to heal the cuts and scrapes on cows and hogs. Works really quick. Comes in a spray can. Just spray on a clean or dirty wound and heals in a couple of days.

Not too sure if it would work on people though. Not FDA aapproved. "Hoof Pack" works good as well for problems with the feet.

And you have to get these from the feed store.

Or we could contact Marie, the local gypsy to whup up a poltice for you or cover your foot with a good mud pack will always help.

Hope this helps.

ID

Back
Top Bottom