My first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Just wanted to say that my first confined water dive went a whole lot smoother than I anticipated! I can't wait for my open water dives coming up this Saturday and Sunday.
Pros: Any suggestions or tips I should know?

Hello and thanks for the tip.

Luckily, my husband (a diver since he was 18--he's now 29) just purchased a great underwater camera.
However, I didn't think of taking it on my first open water dive. It will be great to look back at such a special day.

Thanks again!

To hand that camera off to your buddy, so they can take a picture of you. On my first open water dive my instructor took my camera from me and took a pic of me. I'm glad he did.

Have fun on those dives!
Welcome to the Boards!

Tavi

Hello Miami Mermaid, welcome to the best place on the planet to do your surface interval. Good luck with the classes just make sure you are prepared, pay attention, relax and the fun part will come naturally!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

No recomendations just have fun and if you have any questions, any questions at all ask your instructor.
Then after you get finished write and tell us all about it.

Hey Mermaid,

Have fun and wait until the instructor hands you your temporary c-card. For me it was an unreal feeling to think at that moment I could go diving wherever, whenever.

May just be me, but let us know.

Best thing to remember when doing you first o/w dives is to just relax and take it slow and easy. Watch the other divers as they go through the skills and "do it with them" in your mind as they perform the skill. This helps train your "muscle" memory on what to do.

And don't be afraid or frustrated if you don't get a skill right the first time. We all had something go strange during our skills and we all were a bit aprehensive since it was our first dives.

But if you relax and enjoy it, you will soon discover that it's easy and one of the most fun sports you will ever take up. (You never hear Tennis players or bowlers talk about fish they seen or letting thier buddy bonk their head on a underwater tree limb)

I know I'm late for your OW - but here's some advice in hindsight:
- relax
- yes, you will get better at the (*!^@#*&%#^ bouyancy thing
- that's probably the last time you'll have to remove equipment. Note I did not say replace -- 'cause I think a large number of us have forgotten to put something on when we're about to take that giant stride off a charter boat..... (but that's another storey)
- yes you'll be able to drop some of the weight with time
- relax I know I said this, but it's worth repeating.

How did it go?

Hi all! Thank you for your warm welcomes and tips!

Diving Gal,
I must say, you hit the nail on the head with the buoyancy thing! My dear friend and diving buddy "Ody" floated away!
Overall, I felt very comfortable with the breathing despite stories I heard from other people's first class.

I'll tell you guys how it went after my first o/w.

(Oh, and I'll tell my instructor to take lotsa pictures)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom