My first time will be in St Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oconnor69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be cruising on Royal Caribbean Feb next year and plan to dive with Admiralty in St Thomas. This will be my first holiday dive and so I've got a few questions;
I currently only dive UK waters in a drysuit and will not have the opportunity to do any kind of weight check before the holiday. Is this likely to be an issue?
I e-mailed Admiralty saying I'd be on my own and would they be able to hook me up with a buddy. They replied that they dive as a group and so this would not be a problem. Again, only diving UK waters with generally low vis, I've always dived as a buddy team. Is this group diving the norm in such places? Should I try and pair up with someone on the dive?
Has anyone dive with Admiralty and have an opinion and/or comments on them as a dive company?

Many thanks for your comments,
John

in a lot of "cruise boat destinations" the dive is "group diving" by means of a divemaster leading the dive like a tour guide and everyone following. You still have people diving in buddies/pairs. The divemaster doesn't keep you in a "straight line" so much that you can't explore off on your own, but the group does tend to stay somewhat close so he can "keep you in a general area".

As for wetsuit, they'll be able to help you with suggested weighting. most folks dive the USVI in wetsuits as the water there is warm all year. I dove it in November with no wetsuit for example. I can't see you needing more than a 3mm or 5mm in Feb.

One more thing, since you're in Europe, you most likely have a DIN regulator. most rental tanks in the US and Caribbean (which gets their tanks from the US) typically have a YOKE valve on it. So if you have DIN, you'll want a DIN to yoke converter (under $40 US) or check with the dive shop in USVI to see if they've got DIN tanks available. Just something to check into.

mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, I do have DIN and have seen adapters over here pretty cheap so I'll pick one up before I go.
I've e-mailed Admiralty a couple of times and they seem to be very friendly and helpfull.

I dove with them last year in May. They were definitely friendly and helpful. It's a group dive but seek out the single diver in the group and ask him/her if they don't mind buddying up. After the dive, they insisted on rinsing my gear and hanging it to dry for me to pickup later. Enjoy

i'll be diving withthem, i'll let u know how it goes, full trip report

I just got back from diving St Thomas and I wore a 3mm. I chartered with Blue Island and that was the only charter that didn't go as a group tour. But have only heard good things about Admiralty, as 6 others dove with them from my cruise that day as well. All the other islands charter did. And as a previous poster said your buddied up but following a DM. St Thomas was beautiful, both the WIT Concrete and Cay reefs were thiving with life. You should have a great dive there. I would suggest if you have the time to hit one of the beaches afterwards and do some snorkling, you find alot of life on doing that as well.

Thanks folks, looks like I should have a good time.
Look forward to your trip report billeelou.
Rhy, I think we're going to be hitting the beach in St Maarten after a spot of shopping.

I dove with them for 9 dives last year. They were great and I'd definitely dive with them again. I usually wear a 3/2 suite in the Caribbean, but have been diving with people there who don't wear wetsuits. I am a drysuit diver and LOVE diving with such little weight! If you still want more diving in the afternoon. There's shore diving at Coki Beach. There's a dive shop trailer there where you can rent tanks/weights. It's right next to the aquarium.

Hi Dive Girl,

I've been chatting with them and it looks like I'll get 2 dives in with them and they assure me no customer of theirs has ever missed their ship!

I too am a drysuit diver. I've just finished hosing mine down after a trip to the coast and a couple of dives under the pier.

John

Back
Top Bottom