My First-time Nightmare Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW! Talk about a rough start! As everyone here has said, it appears that you fell in with a shop whose scruples seem to be in doubt; all I can add to what everyone else has said is to ask around to find a shop and instructor that you're comfortable with - word of mouth and on-line referrals can be very helpful. I got very lucky when I did my OW in the Bahamas with Grand Bahama Scuba (Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger); it's probably a little far for you, but the best advertisement I can give them is to say that I took both of my daughters there to get certified, with my (non-diving) wife's blessing!
I think it was Devon Diver (Andy) that wrote a series of articles on getting started, but I can't seem to find them. His website and contact info can be found here, as well as some of the other articles he's written: Scuba Diving Resources | How To Scuba Dive | Knowledgebase he can definitely point you in the right direction, and PI isn't too far for a week long vacation.
I would also strongly recommend reaching out to the local community, finding a dive club, etc., and hope that you give it another shot - once you find an instructor that you're comfortable with, it makes all the difference!

KevinL

I would also strongly recommend reaching out to the local community, finding a dive club, etc., and hope that you give it another shot - once you find an instructor that you're comfortable with, it makes all the difference!

KevinL
I will second this recommendation. If you can find a not for profit dive club in your area, a quick Google search showed a couple, you will meet dive enthusiasts who are usually very willing to provide good advice. You may find a club that provides training and usually a club course is longer and more complete. A club also usually provides good mentoring.

Hi Everyone,
It's been almost 3 days since the incident and I've been feeling much better. I think that I've been very lucky getting away with almost no physical injury from the experience. If I didn't choose to adjust my mask at the 5m dive and aborted the dive as it happened, I think I would have been allowed to go on to the 10-15m dive next and if a similar incident happened at that depth, things would not have looked so good. My friend asked me yesterday, how has my bucket list changed since the incident, and I realised that what I want most, is to be there for my children, and if I'm blessed enough, even for my children's children. But between now and then, I'm sure I'll get another chance to experience this great sport that all of you seem to love so much! Thanks guys, for sharing your passion for scuba diving! It is contagious. :wink:

Thank goodness you're ok...

You know what after this experience you really, really need a good vacation... for some snorkeling and diving lol!

I'm positive you'll be able to find a great place and group of divers around the great barrier reef.

Failing that, come over to Thailand, Bali or Malaysia :)

OMG I hear YOU! I bought the same course went to one or two classes and then never turned up again as I work as a HSSE Advisor I knew this place was SHONKY! You will dive! I went to a dive shop in Bentleigh and did it there they were FANTASTIC loved it, dive regularly now. But this place is TERRIBLE owner is a snappy man, refuses to admit that NOOOOO ONE knows what the hell SSI accreditation is!

Really sad to hear about your terrible experience. Judging by the preparation and research you guys did all by yourself in the interests of learning to do it right I would say that you already have the right attitude to successfully learn to scuba. Don't let these money chasers steal your dream! It's like falling of a horse or a bicycle (push bike as you guys say?). Get right on again before you start doubting in your own abilities.

Another observation. I fully agree that any diver should be able to handle their scuba equipment like doffing and donning etc. My wife is learning to scuba at the moment and is going through the same process. Fortunately with an instructor who has a passion for the sport and a passion to teach it to others. What a difference that makes. To get back to my point. Maybe I am "old school" but there is no way that I am letting my wife lug the heavy stuff around. I am stronger than her and that is what I am there for. Not because she cannot do it as she is very athletic and strong for a lady but simply out of respect. I don't care what the instructor or anybody else says!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom