My first stobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Have recently bought a Canon S400 and housing and IMHO the results were OK for a first u/w photography trip...www.merith.com

On my first trip, I just used a UK DR4 torch to provide some lighting, but this was not perfect and a little cumbersome.

Having looked around and read people's opinions on here, it seems that the Epoque is not a great choice, which leaves me with Sea&Sea and Ikelite as the only serious options. I am currently leaning towards a Sea&Sea YS-25DX as my initial stobe investment, with a multi-stay so that I can add a more powerful second strobe later.

Does this seem like a good choice or are their other/better options ??

Also, I would be intrested in attaching the UK DR4 to an arm on the other side from the strobe, so I could use it with the camera's video function. Does anyone know anyway to attach a UK DR4 to a flexible arm ??

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Unless $$ is a big factor, I'd go with the YS90DX to start with but your plan will work.

As for the light, if you mount it under your housing, directly under the lens port, you can use it as an accurate spotting light. To eliminate the hot spot of the beam, which will likely show up in your night photos, line the reflector cup with crinkled aluminum foil to diffuse the spot.

If you are looking in the S&S family, the DX90 is an excellent strobe.

As for a spotting or targeting light, there is always the option of tapeing something like a UK SL4 or it's Pelican cousin directly under the strobe. It works a treat for Pearce. :thumb:

Why do you think they invented duct tape? :wink:

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom