My first Solo Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Waid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just remembering my first time diving solo. It wasn't deep, just down to 25 feet tops.

I had just finished a long weekend of diving (with my dive buddy) dropped him off late that afternoon, and I had like 8 tanks in the back of my truck (all rentals), and I had to take them back the next day, but there were a couple that had a thousand pounds and a couple that had 1,500 pounds left in them.

I hate the idea of bringing back tanks unless they are down under the 500 mark, I don't like bringing them back if they have more than 200 pounds of air in them.

So, I decided to go burn off the tanks. I burned off the last bit of 4 tanks in a late afternoon right up until just after sunset. Solo. Like I said, I kept it shallow, I had only been certified for a few weeks if that, and I know I am not going to drown in 25 feet of water, I don't care if you tie cement slippers to my feet, it isn't going to happen.

I didn't have enough air in the tanks to make it worth going any deeper anyway, but I remember going out and coming back in, BY MYSELF.

I noticed the sun, and its angle, and the bottom formations and environment more, and i got a real feel for where I was in the water. I all but mastered buoyancy control, and I greatly improved my air consumption. When I dive alone I advance more, I don't have to worry about where my buddy is going or any of that stuff. I don't even mind carrying the flag when I dive alone, not like I have anyone else to pawn it off on anyway.

Anway, I thought it would be fun to hear about other people's First Time Solo.

First time solo was a shore dive. Night dive looking for lobsters in 15 ft of water. Boy was it worth it. My buddy couldn't make it and lost out on the lonsters.

I'll let you know in a couple of months...

I've never went solo SCUBA (yet) but years back when I was a rookie officer doing marine patrol, I lost my handcuffs in about 20 feet of water while boarding another boat.

They fell off of my belt, because I didn't have a proper case.

Well, I went back to the nearest shore point, midweek, and went out with mask/fins/snorkel and found them.

Still have 'em. :D

My buddy didn't show up that Sunday morning, and I needed to test my brand new UW camera housing before flying out to Egypt a few days later. So I kitted up anyway and took it to 7 meters on a nice leisurely dive. I got some stares from the other divers in the parking lot as I walked to the water :wink: , and more from those passing by as I laid on the bottom, outstaring a juvenile pike in the sunshine filtering down from the surface. But it was a beautiful and peaceful experience.

I don't really remember the first solo dive, I was doing inland lakes at the time which are pretty boring after 35/40 feet (the surface of Mars) likely why I still poke around the lakes as their pretty interesting around the edges, lots of fish, growth, and good visibility, generally. The deeper forays are just a continuation through confidence & experience over time (I'll go to 100 feet on occasion) SCUBA diving is a solo activity for me now, I'm usually more nervous about being a good "buddy" to relax and enjoy the dive when I do partner up (there is more reponsibility in that case as far as I'm concerned)~ Jim

You asked - it was about dive #180 - went 1100 feet back into a North FL cave - I am fully cave certified. The mindset I had was that at any time I could find myself without a buddy back in a cave and wanted to know I really could deal with it. It was a very relaxing dive. I noticed I was particularly aware of every little detail. I thought much further ahead and anticipated more. I purposefully swam in upside down (for cave diving, you are in doubles...or should be) which in any situation, can be very disconcerting - I guess I was trying to force myself to do things that were not natural or comfortable - so I looked at all the formations on the ceiling that you would normally never notice - the air bubbles - how they flowed and ultimately stayed in place, forming multiple mirrors and a trail. I saw the very dark geothite that indicates still virgin surfaces (I guess people don't normally do this - lol) - no, it is not something you usually do, but I did on this dive. I paid close attention to my bouyancy control and played with wing venting technique while in this "odd" position. I tried to hug the ceiling profile as close as possible - it was fun. I proceeded to around 1100 feet penetration (only the first 250 feet was inverted) where I checked air and decided to do a lights out lost line and exit - meaning in total darkness. It is amazing the feel you have for the system when multiple senses are removed, the cave speaks to you in a way, and the flow tells you which way is out...bubbles ride up your face to let you know you really are, still face down. I did feel a slight bit of vertigo as I did my line search, but awareness of where the permanent line had been (before the lights went out) and flow direction gave me clear clues of which way to go. A very slight brush of my right fin against the permanent line told me all - I held it there and somehow contorted myself to feel the line with my hand (and still my fin). I double wrapped my arm, lol, and tied off, not with my safety which was originally tied off to the only nub of a rock I could feel just after the lights went out...I tied off a second spool - still in darkness, and recovered my safety...I felt very "in control". I purposefully did all this in a system I was very familiar with, I learned a lot - and gained confidence. For me going solo was to train myself for this eventuality that I hope never happens. I really don't feel the need to do it again. But it was liberating and peaceful. I can understand why people want to do it and enjoy doing it...but I like buddies - to share my diving with...and a few beers afterward. But I have to admit that in general, I am lucky to be diving with folks of greater skill than I - makes it easy not to go solo. I do dive with walk up and ask strangers - and generally I am disappointed, so for some, I understand, solo may be the answer. Dive safe - it is a great sport!

My first Solo dive was to about 60' of water durring a dive poker weekend at Bottomless Lakes NM. I dove the whole weekend alone and found I really like it.

mine was today!!! went down to 27 ft for a lil bit then hung around 10-15 for the rest, 35 min dive. There wasnt much to see, all the big fishys wernt around. It was my 2nd dive ever! I kept kicking the float line and it was freaking me out I thought somthing was grabbing me lol.

Back
Top Bottom